Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Scammed

Had a phone call from someone professing to be from Virgin, telling me that there were problems with my broadband.  Unfortunately, over the last few day we really did have problems which, along with ill health, made me unwary.  I was told I was due a refund due to “poor service” and...well, let’s just say they managed to access my bank account, and you can guess the rest.

I’ve reported this to all the necessary people, and, hopefully all will be OK.  This isn’t really a question, more of a warning; to be on your guard.  These people are so plausible, and they frightened me into thinking I’d lose my Virgin services if I ended the call, or didn’t do as they asked.  

There are some real b******s out there...don’t get caught out like me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scammed

Unfortunately, this is quite a common thing and 1,000's of people around the world allow scammers access to their computer.  ISP's simply do not call you up and put remote access software on your computer then go through some implausible nonsense (such as using event viewer to con you into thinking there's something wrong with your computer) to bamboozle you and gain access to your bank account.  It should also be noted that your bank may not always refund you.

You have done the right thing reporting them; here's hoping you get the outcome you seek.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sorry to hear about your situation @mintym. Hopefully the action you have already taken can help minimise the damage.

There is a useful article here from Citizens Advice

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/scams/what-to-do-if-youve-been-scammed/

which has a list of suggestions on what to do after such an event. It might help you double check that you have covered as many bases as possible to protect yourself.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

and as the scammers are outside the UK its almost impossible they will be caught. Hoping for the best but expect the worst. hopefully you didn't lose much.

also format and reinstall your PC. they will of left backdoors

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you to all who have answered.  I only have myself to blame; I was taken in completely.  I think I’ve done all I can at the minute, but laptop’s going to a reliable Computer Technician for a “deep clean”.  It won’t be used again until that’s been done.

It could have been a lot worse financially; I suddenly put two and two together, and realised what was going on.  If nothing else, it’s taught me a lesson!

0 Kudos