cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam?

the_adam_tait
Joining in

I was called by an Asian sounding woman with the telephone number removed. She said by computer and router had been hacked, and asked me to confirm the light status on the router, (this was a normal but she said there was an issue). She started asking for mobile phone details, etc. but I told her I thought it was a scam and hung-up. Has anyone had similar experience? Do you think it was a scam?

I tried calling Virgin Media direct to report it and ask about it, but after 20+ minutes waiting from them to answer the phone I gave up.

[MOD EDIT: Number removed]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This variant of the “tech support” scam is known of but unfortunately there seems little that can be done at present to tackle the issue beyond public awareness to remain vigilant.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This variant of the “tech support” scam is known of but unfortunately there seems little that can be done at present to tackle the issue beyond public awareness to remain vigilant.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is a scam yes.

You will also notice that mods are removing any posted phone numbers the scammers use. This is because the scammers can clone any UK number they choose to, whether it is not actually in use or belonging to an innocent party. If they clone genuine in-use numbers that are then posted publicly, this then risks to the innocent party getting abusive calls.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Adam, I am sorry to hear that you have received such calls. When our teams call we would also ask security questions and not ask for Mobile phone details as that information would be on the account. We would never call to say that a router has been hacked and if this was the case our internet security team would send an email and do not call customers directly. What number called you? Was it our 0345 454 1111 number? - Chris

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The number was removed

best regards,

Adam Tait

[MOD EDIT: Number removed]

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

I would recommend ignoring the number, if these numbers continue we will be able to offer a change of landline number if you wished to do so. ^Chris. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@the_adam_tait 

As stated in my previous post above. Please do not post the numbers the scammers are using. They are CLONES of genuine business & customers numbers that are nothing to do with the scams. Posting these numbers therefore invites harrassing calls to these innocent victims, not to mention possible invasion of privicy.

Changing your own number WILL NOT stop these calls. The scammers use auto diallers to dial whole blocks of numbers, so sooner or later they will include any new number you may be given. Also the fact all numbers are recycled means you are likely to get calls for any former users.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Never trust an incoming number. All incoming numbers to your phones can currently be easily "spoofed". Scammers do this due to the way the UK telephone network has been built over a number of decades. Scammers spoof emergency services, HMRC, Banks. They lure you in by "google the number I am calling from to verify me".

Good news is Ofcom is working with providers to mitigate this long term and hopefully measures will be implemented to prevent this in the future.

This is what is referred to as computer services fraud. The scam would likely to be as follows:

1) Fraudster directs to a website that is meant to look like a genuine virgin media website. 

2) Download some remote support software, most likely AnyDesk statistically. 

3) At this point the fraudster will convince you to grant remote access to your computer. 

4) Fraudster connects to your computer. They will typically run either Command Prompt or Windows Event Viewer and show errors (which actually are nothing to worry about.)

5) They will then offer to fix for a fee or subscription to fake anti virus they offer.

6) They will direct you to a website where you input your card details.

7) These card details either get used or sold on the dark web for further criminality. 

Unfortunately there is a strong link to these scams back to India and the international law enforcement community is trying.

Please see a recent news article

https://www.interpol.int/fr/Actualites-et-evenements/Actualites/2016/INTERPOL-operation-targeting-ph...

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Following series maybe of interest to those unfamiliar with how miscreants operate scams, BBC iPlayer - Scam Interceptors - Series 1: Episode 1

Thanks for all the advice