Menu
Stevehep1965
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Scam

I received a call from an Indian chap claiming to be from Amazon , he was calling to say my prime subs were due ( I wasn’t aware I had prime but sometimes they add if you’ve ordered something ).  during the call he said let’s check your up address and mine was a Californian in address so he said I had my internet hacked .  He then said don’t worry no one has ordered anything but to download this app so he could check , I downloaded he then asked me to login to my bank I then smelt a rat and said I’m not comfortable doing that then I hung up . I contacted Amazon to report as he  rung on a uk mobile number so I passed the number on .. Should my IP address be in uk nit California thanks 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam

This was a scam call with the aim of trying to steal money from you, as you have realised.

Did you allow the scammer to take remote control of your computer during this encounter?

0 Kudos
Stevehep1965
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I also remember him asking what device I browse Amazon on I said iPad and iPhone he said not a computer ..When he asked e to log in to bank and I said I’m not comfortable he replied stay on the line don’t hang up but I then hung up as didn’t feel right so hopefully I dodged a bullet , I’m usually good at spotting things but when he mentioned the £79 would come out of bank that’s how he hot me hooked first of all . What about the IP address being linked to California though .

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You haven't answered whether you allowed him to take remote control of your computer/device.

The 'Califorian IP address' is made up and is just part of the scammer script to make you believe that you have a problem that the scammer can 'fix' for you.

0 Kudos
Stevehep1965
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi no I didn’t let him take control of my device , I downloaded the app he asked me to then when I wouldn’t open banking g app he put me on hold it was then I hung up and deleted app  .  My IP address is saying still it’s in California though 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you have not complied with the scammer's instructions and you have not given out any personal/security information and you have not allowed the scammer remote access to your computer or downloaded any other software then the likelihood of your interaction with the scammer being harmful is low.

There is a high likelihood they will contact you again and will have another attempt to scam you, possibly using a slightly different approach. Have a look through these two booklets from the Metropolitan Police which explain what to look for. The scam you have already described is shown on page 20 and 21 of the first link.

https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/advice/fraud/met/the-little-book-of-...

https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/advice/fraud/met/little-booklet-of-p...

The simplest approach is to let any unknown caller ID numbers go to answering machine and listen to the call later which gives you time to think about the call and whether you need to respond or not.

You can visit this site

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

to check your IP address

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

• from where did you download the (remote access) app?
  • did you install it?
  • did you run it?

NB: there is no need to post the detail here unless uncertain of the source from which the app was downloaded?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Stevehep1965
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

• Hi was App Store and I didn’t open it I don’t think , I’ve logged into bank and nothing has come out and I’ll continue to monitor it 
0 Kudos
Molly_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Stevehep1965,

Welcome to the forums and many thanks for your post. I'm very sorry to hear you have received such a call I know this can be quite a worrying experience.

We do offer some further advice at our page for Dealing With Fraudulent Calls and other steps that you can take next.

Let us know if you have any further issues - thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos