Menu
tamirmorgan
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Scam

Okay, I've had to do a lot of detective work to get to the bottom of this. +44 7445 57xxxx messages me claiming to be a member of the installation team. I immediately think "scam". Random phone number. No proof of identification. They went sensitive personal data.

Google the number. Everyone's shouting "SCAM". Fine. I'll ignore it. But just in case, I'll give Virgin a call to double-check. "It sounds safe, sir", the man says. "If they ask for your name and password characters, that's how you know it's them". Me, without having to do much mental gymnastics, "well, no, I could send this exact message and just agree with the password characters sent back to me and then proceed to asking for personal data." "Oh, yes, that's a good point", he says. "What I would do is give him the wrong characters and if he says that's correct, you know it's a scam!"

As ingenious as my outsourced friend is, he seems to be asking the general public to bluff the engineer Texas Hold 'em style to find out if it's James Bond in disguise.

In short, please make your messages appear vaguely legitimate or have some more oversight over the customer service firms you outsource to.

Good night.

Screenshot_20210421-135128.png

[mod edit - number removed in case cloned from innocent business number]

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam

The number does actually have a UK allocation (Hutchinson telecom, which is now 3) so this may have a genuine user in the UK who may have no idea their number has been cloned by scammers if indeed a scammer has contacted you. This is an increasing occurrence which is why it is not such a good idea to publish these numbers on public websites & forums.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tamirmorgan
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Turns out it was, indeed, Virgin Media's pre-installation team!

0 Kudos
Molly_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @tamirmorgan,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear that the call from our pre-installation team did not appear legitimate. I appreciate that you were vigilant in this situation and called us up as we would advise customers to do if in doubt, so apologies that our customer service agent was not more reassuring in the situation. 

This is very useful feedback and I will be passing this on to relevant teams to look into this to help avoid such a circumstance repeating in the future. 

Thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos