Menu
Stanzee
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Scam?

I have been having problems with my Virgin broad band for a long time - constantly dropping, particularly when it rains - so I wasn't all that surprised to receive a call purporting to be from Virgin, in fact 2 calls, today.  I was told there was some illegal activity on my broadband (may have said 'internet') and the call came from this number: 020845491476

I was told I was going to be disconnected and that I needed to confirm all items connected to the broadband which I did not and said I would contact Virgin myself to sort it out.  Just wanted to warn others but also thought it a coincidence that they made contact when I (and both my neighbours) are having genuine problems.

coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam?

@Stanzee wrote:
Scam?

Definitely!

Just for the record, it's a well know and long running scam. Sometimes they say they are from BT and when people say they are with Virgin Media, the scammers reply by saying that BT handle Virgin Media broadband. That's totally untrue of course but scammers always have a (sort of plausible) answer for everything!

Also, the number you saw in caller display or by dialing 1471 will have been spoofed (faked) and may well belong to a completely innocent individual or organisation. The next time the scammers call, and sadly they will call you again, it will appear to be from a completely different number.

Be aware that scammers have started using fake numbers that appear to be mobile phone numbers. That's because many genuine customer support staff including VM staff are working from home these days and using mobile phones for work.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Donna14
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've just posted regarding the same issue! The phone number was nearly identical apart from the last four digits. I did wonder though because it was an actual person and not the usual automated call. 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Donna14 wrote:

The phone number was nearly identical apart from the last four digits.

A different number but still a faked one.

I did wonder though because it was an actual person and not the usual automated call. 

Both variants are out there. In my view the live calls are more likely to yield results for the scammer but both are equally dangerous.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Stanzee
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for responding - yes I agree I wondered too at first because it was a real person although I'm pretty sure it was the same woman who had called me earlier in the day and I'd waffled on about the useless broadband when it rains 🙂
0 Kudos