Menu
GranAnne
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Scam

I’ve just had a scam call same as others mentioned on here. I wouldn’t normally fall for this but I have had to call virgin several times recently about internet connection so it was quite plausible. I spoke to a woman at first, I said it wasn’t convenient and I wasn’t happy about call but then a bloke came on and said he was the account manager. I stupidly opened up my laptop but when they asked me to key an address into my browser I refused and put phone down. Will my laptop still be secure as I didn’t key anything into the browser.  They keep Calling back and then they put phone down when we answer? 
Do I need to do anything to make sure my laptop is secure still? Thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam

If you simply turned on your laptop but didn't actually carry out any of their instructions, then your laptop should not be affected.

Virgin Media would not require remote access to your device and it is highly unlikely they would make inbound contact with you about technical problems over the phone.

Now that the scammers have actually made contact with you, you can expect to receive more calls. Consider getting a call screening device such as trueCall or a phone with screening features such as some of the ranges from BT.

Blocking individual numbers, or only withheld/unavailable numbers, is only partly useful as many of the scam calls use fake caller ID so these won't be stopped by simple blocking techniques.

With call screening devices, an unknown caller is asked to press a button on the keypad and/or state who they are before your phone rings. The automated scam diallers cannot respond to this requirement and so the call is stopped and prevented from ringing your phone.

Your existing phone may also have some features which can help such as using a different ringtone for known callers in your phone address book and/or setting 'do not disturb' times which keep the phone silent apart from known callers in your address book. Check the manual of your existing phone to see what features it may already have.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam

Hi GranAnne,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you had a scam call asking for access to your devices.

As you rightly didn't allow access to the computer there isn't anything to worry amount in this case, theyt only have acces one you accept the prompt sent by them.

Please continue to never allow this if you receive any calls asking for account / payment details always end call and contact us as you have on this occasion.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos