Menu
Lee75
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Scam?

I have had a phone call claiming to be from Virgin Media telling me that I am not getting the full internet speed and as a valued customer they wanted to check which lights were showing on my modem.  He asked if I could tell him. I refused and asked him to prove that he was calling from Virgin he went quiet and did not give an answer so I hung up.  Has anyone else had this happen to them?  Is it a scam or genuine?  

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam?

@Lee75 wrote:
 1 )Has anyone else had this happen to them? 
2) Is it a scam or genuine?  

Answer to question 1) -  Many, many people have had that or very similar calls over the last few years. See here for an example https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/fraud/td-p/4554231  It is not a new phenomena and they may well call you again.

Answer to  question 2) - It is a total, complete and absolute scam. Internet providers such as Virgin Media will never call you out of the blue to tell you that you have an issue with your broadband. In fact always be very sceptical when anyone claiming to be a representative of any large organisation, such as a bank or the police, calls you without any prior notice.

You did the right thing - never engage with these people.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lee75
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.  I have been a customer for years and never had a call like that or maybe its because I am working from home and was here to answer the call.  Its normally the microsoft ones I get.

0 Kudos
Kutykitty
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have just had a phone call now. Stating that I am not getting the correct speed. I asked the man to tell me my name. He didn’t understand whats I was asking. He  then said I will transfer you to my supervisor. I could hear him walking over to a person and handed her the phone. I asked her again to confirm my name. She said we only get a ticket number. I said rubbish if you are virgin media you will have my contact details for security. She then said to me, turn over your modem and give me the number and letters on the bottom. I said if you are virgin media you would not need these details. You are talking a load of &£#@£  don’t try and scam me. And I put the phone down. 
there is no way someone would phone up from Virgin and not be able to give you your own name and address.