Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Scam phonecall

Today I’ve had 3 missed calls all within 2 hours then it rang again so answered it was a lady saying she’s from Virgin Media couldn’t quite work out most of what she was saying but the gist was that my internet has dropped out and had I given my password to anyone then she wanted some details I said I’m sorry I can’t hear what your saying so she went on to repeat it all again I thought it sounded a bit iffy has first off she never asked for the account holder which wasn’t me but my wife which I thought was strange and she asked if I was the account holder. So I said I’m sorry I can’t work out what your saying and hung up. All 4 numbers that rang were all different. I am very wary of anything like this and emails saying there from Virgin Media with links I never click links I prefer to go to a website myself and check.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam phonecall

Join the club!

Look at all the threads posted about scam calls on the Home Phone board in the past week.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location,dateRangeType&q=S... 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I’ve got a message from VM saying that they’ve had a data breach and they are looking into it. Luckily I’ve just changed email and password.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@carni2k5 wrote:

I’ve got a message from VM saying that they’ve had a data breach and they are looking into it. Luckily I’ve just changed email and password.

The fact these callers are stating they are from Virgin is nothing to do with the data breach. The scammers are just guessing you are a Virgin customer. Telephone providers are allocated blocks of numbers in each STD code area. Lists of these blocks are freely available on the internet. The scammers just program their diallers to call these blocks & the majority of the time the people using those numbers are customers of that company.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I’m getting 6 calls a day from these fake VM callers saying theirs a fault with my router. When I ask them who they are calling they don’t know so I hang up as if it was VM really they would know my name if they called me. I’ve decided to switch the phone off as nothing can be done to stop them. Problem solved.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@carni2k5 wrote:

I’m getting 6 calls a day from these fake VM callers saying theirs a fault with my router. When I ask them who they are calling they don’t know so I hang up as if it was VM really they would know my name if they called me. I’ve decided to switch the phone off as nothing can be done to stop them. Problem solved.

Turning your phone off and not answering will probably bring some short term relief. Once the auto-diallers fail to make a connection on your number, and just get continuous ringing, you may well find that the number of attempts begins to decrease (at least for a time anyway).

If you want to reinstate your phone to normal use, consider the use of a call screening/blocking device or phone with those features.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Getting-multiple-calls-from-Virgin-saying-my-router-...

0 Kudos