Menu
Jon1951
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Scam phone calls

Have been getting several calls from this number 0800183616 saying they are from virgin media, offering to upgrade my package , 200 Mbps + sky cinema for an extra £10 a month, a great deal  ?

he had all the answers, my account details, package details, mobile phone number, name and postal address, 

if I had concerns , told to call 150 to confirm deal ?

i know it's a scam, but if he has all the above details, what can I do to secure my account ?

more to the point what will virgin do to to give me piece of mind ?

regards  Jon.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam phone calls

That looks like the outbound sales number, but one of the @ForumTeam Staff should be able to confirm.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Jon1951 wrote:

Have been getting several calls from this number 0800183616 saying they are from virgin media, offering to upgrade my package , 200 Mbps + sky cinema for an extra £10 a month, a great deal  ?

he had all the answers, my account details, package details, mobile phone number, name and postal address, 

if I had concerns , told to call 150 to confirm deal ?

i know it's a scam, but if he has all the above details, what can I do to secure my account ?

more to the point what will virgin do to to give me piece of mind ?

regards  Jon.

Usually the scammers hang up when challenged for any personal info. Caller ID can be easily faked so gives you no indication of authenticity. Impossible for you to know at the time if the call was genuine or not so you did the right thing in not going further.

If you do not wish to receive marketing calls from VM, sign into 'My Virgin Media' and update your contact preferences accordingly. At least that way you will know that anyone phoning you afterwards is not likely to be from VM.

Jon1951
Dialled in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks , but who give him my details ?
0 Kudos
squall-loire
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm also receiving calls from this number, only it is showing up as +800183616. Calls started the day after I placed an order for a new contract phone,  but as I don't recognise it as an official VM number I've not picked up. 

Would be nice if someone from the @ForumTeam could confirm whether this is a VM number or not.  

0 Kudos
Jon1951
Dialled in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I did phone 150, after a long wait, I explained what happened , gave them the number, they confirmed it was not a VM number, 

scam number,

Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @Jon1951 

Just wanted to confirm that this isn't one of our numbers. 

Did the team over the phone, manage to change your password on your account? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Jon1951
Dialled in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No, this was not offered,
Jon
0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you for coming back to me. 

I can sort that for you, I am going to drop you a PM so I can get some account information. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
philrushton01
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I just got the same call from 0800 183 6416, they also had all my billing and contract details. I have logged a VM complain C2302213299 but this has now just flagged up an 'error whilst submitting'. If this is a scam, how has my personal details been accessed?

0 Kudos