Message 21 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam phone calls

suddenly our landline is being plagued with the automated voice calls:

"FROM YOUR INTERNET PROVIDER, WHO ARE GOING TO SUSPEND YOUR SERVICE"

07302244915  @ 09:17 Friday 02 October 2020

0201035869 @ 14:28 Thursday 01 October 2020

08304433733 @ 10:57 Thursday 01 October 2020

as we don't give out the landline number to anyone and the CLI is blocked. I'm curious as to why we've suddenly become the latest target for Comp-U-phish Support and its waste of time calls 🙄

asap.png

The Original CALL CENTER movie 

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 22 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@moof wrote:

suddenly our landline is being plagued with the automated voice calls:

<snip>

I'm curious as to why we've suddenly become the latest target for Comp-U-phish Support and its waste of time calls 🙄

Your number won't be targeted specifically.

The scam calls are generated by auto-diallers which systematically work their way through large blocks of telephone numbers until they get a reply which indicates the number is active. Once the scammers have identified an active number you will probably get more ... and more ... and more calls, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 23 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Just want to add I've just had one of them calls ( 15 mins ago )claiming to be from Virgin Media, saying there's a problem with my 'wifi' speed which I thought was a bit strange then wanting me to fire up the PC  then I asked him to give me my account details like Name and Account No. then he gave me some bull about he was put through to me from another department and didn't know my details and said '' if you don't believe me I'm from Virgin media type in CMD and then ASSOC''  that's when I hung up.  Anyway here's their Tel No. 01943 437843 somewhere in Yorkshire.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 24 of 26
Flag for a moderator

just had another call told them I'm with BT, line went quiet for a couple of sec's then he hung up
.NEW FLASH !!
while I was typing this I had another call from them and again told them I'm with BT as of 3 weeks ago then he said we can have a look at my Open reach line as BT are having the same problem, I was going to keep him on the line for a long time put I'm missing Heart Beat on TV .lol so I hung up.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 25 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The scammers use OFCOMS number allocation list, which is publicly available, to call blocks of numbers that are allocated to specific providers. They then pretend to be from that provider. It is only if you port your number to another provider that they get it wrong.

PS. They are not in Yorkshire, they are in India. They can also call you from your own number if they choose as they are using VoIP.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 26 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The last week I have had at least 6, i play along with them to waste there time.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 500Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos