Menu
Tuning in
Message 11 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam phone calls

Virgin Media needs the technology to stop people spoofing telephone numbers, but I don't think they will bother investing in this

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi kayelpee50,

Thanks for coming back to us. I can confirm this is indeed a scam call not from us.

Are they calling you on a landline number or your mobile?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

It's a landline call. What's interesting is that they know I'm a Virginmedia customer. How do they have that info?

Keith 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 26
Flag for a moderator

It's part of their script, they get lucky on some, some they don't. 

The only thing I can advise is to maybe purchase a call screening handset which I cannot guarantee would stop the calls, I can only go off personal experience that since installing one, we don't get any spam or sales calls.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 15 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Same here: Had a call this morning and they told me they were from virgin media and were calling about router speed. In order to investigate they wanted me to log into my pc and they would talk me through what was needed. I asked them how they could investigate the router and what information was required as I could browse to it and get error logs. They then said it was very technical and better for them to do this, which means they would require remote control of my pc. I told them I was a retired Cisco Certified network engineer (which I am) and then they hung up.Phone number they called from was 01252 Area Code which I think is Aldershot.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 16 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I have just received one of these  calls. Very amateurish but some people would be fooled into downloading some malware. They need to work on their script to be more convincing. I played along until they wanted me to get onto a laptop.  Stephen Warner 

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 17 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Had two calls yesterday - one from 01783 939492 and the other from 0151 201 8238 - both claiming to be from Virgin Media and saying that lots of suspicious messages were being downloaded every time I connected to my router. Put the phone down. Please can you confirm that this was not Virgin Media?

It would be helpful if you were to post a message quoting the numbers that Virgin Media would call from or the reasons they would/would not call - something to help people determine if the calls are genuine or not e.g. say that you would always send an e-mail or text before calling?

Rising star
Message 18 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The two numbers are fake and the calls were attempted scams. Scam VM calls frequently mention "your router may be disconnected in 'X' hours" or the scam caller wants to "change the settings on your router".

You should not rely on a caller ID number as proof that a call is coming from a specific person/company. The caller IDs can be easily faked and this is part of the scam in generating a false level of trust that the call might actually be genuine. VM does have known numbers which they may call from for the purposes of marketing but seeing those numbers on caller ID does not mean the call is 'safe' (which is why publishing a list of them would be counterproductive).

You can opt out of genuine VM marketing calls through 'My Virgin Media' and communication preferences. You can also register with the TPS which will stop legitimate companies contacting you.

You need to apply some general principles to spotting a scam call or text or email. Some links with general advice are below.

Alternatively, screen your calls via answering machine or look at getting a call blocker/screening device/phone.

National Cyber Security Centre
https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/suspicious-email-actions

OFCOM - Number Spoofing Scams
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisanc...

Metropolitan Police - Phone Scams Booklet
https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/advice/fraud/met/little-booklet-of-p...

Neighbourhood Watch
https://www.ourwatch.org.uk/crime-prevention/crime-prevention-toolkits/scams/common-scams/telephone-...

Super solver
Message 19 of 26
Flag for a moderator

According to information I have found, the area code 01783 is unused. 0151 is Liverpool. "Suspicious messages downloaded"? Complete nonsense. You did the right thing.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Tuning in
Message 20 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Three of these calls today. Different number and caller each time. Doesn't appear to be UK based. I've now switched on the answering machine.

0 Kudos