Menu
Habanero
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Scam phone calls today

Today I've had 4 phone calls all from different numbers, claiming to be from Virginmedia technical support. Normally these calls just claim to be 'your internet provider', but either these guys have made a lucky guess or they somehow know I'm a VM customer. One clue that they are not is that they don't know your name.

They follow the usual script of claiming the router has been hacked and your emails and bank details are at risk. Then they ask if you have a Mac or PC and armed with that they transfer you to a 'technical consultant'. At that point I told him I knew it was a scam and he wasn't from VM and he hung up.

They have since called again, and this time I was less polite!

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam phone calls today

There are lookup tools readily available on the internet that can tell you what provider every number on an exchange belongs too. So it is no problem for a scammer to call all the blocks of numbers allocated to Virgin on an exchange & assume the customers will be Virgin's. The only time it falls over is if customers port their numbers to other providers, as it makes a scammer stand out like a sore thumb. The numbers they use are spoofed & are either non existant, or a cloned from genuine businesses & households.

Just hang up straight away & keep doing it. They soon give up.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks