Menu
seagull
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Scam phone call

Received a call today from removed claiming to be a Technical call from Virgin. The strange thing is that a few hours before this scam call I was talking to Virgin about a router problem so it was almost convincing! The caller wanted me to enter some text (fast…) into my browser and then when I questioned the authenticity of the call he became very insistent. He had an Indian accent.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam phone call

You were called by scammers in India. The fact you were talking to Virgin earlier is just coincidence. These scammers use readily available data on the internet that lists the number allocations of all the telephone numbers on each exchange. They then use auto diallers to call batches of numbers belonging to one provider, & then say they are from that provider.

The number that come up on caller display is fake. These can be unused numbers, but are commonly cloned from genuine customers & businesses, as this one is. As such this could be someone’s personal information & I will ask a moderator to remove it. The numbers they use change constantly.

The best thing to do is hang up straight away. Engaging with them just triggers further calls as your number is then circulated to other scam outfits.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam phone call

This quite a common scam where remote access software is installed on your computer.  If anyone asks you to do this hang up immediately.  There's nothing wrong with your router, nor has it been compromised by many countries.  A new thing I've noticed recently is that I'm getting Amazon scam calls pretending to originate from the USA.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Warning-to-new-computer-users-callers-claiming-to... 

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos