Menu
Scwilko
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Scam phone call?

I've just had a call saying it's from virgin. 

They said there's been work  in my area which showed my broadband has been hacked and used for illegal activity. 

The caller didn't use my name or ask any security questions, so I put the phone down, is it likely to have been genuine?

When I rang the number back it wasn't recognised 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam phone call?

It’s a common scam call originating from India.

The number will either not exist, or will be cloned from a genuine householder or business that is nothing to do with the scammers.

Don’t engage with them, just hang up. Any verbal response from you is liable to result in further calls.

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

cheshirealan
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I am getting a number of these. Very annoying.

I tell them they are talking rot and hang up

I think Virgin should support the setting up of a special word to identify themselves when they call customers so that we know its them.

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Morning @Chesirealan, 

Thanks for joining in on this and sorry to hear you're having the same issue. 

Did they call you via your landline? 

if so you can use these two links to find out more about scam calls, and how to block them. 

If you do have any further issues, please feel free to pop back a message on here and more than happy to assist you 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@cheshirealan wrote:

I am getting a number of these. Very annoying.

I tell them they are talking rot and hang up

I think Virgin should support the setting up of a special word to identify themselves when they call customers so that we know its them.

There already is. You should have a Passcode set up of which they will ask you 2 characters from when accessing your account. The fact is they will not cold call you about issues like this. VM cannot monitor your hub stats remotely without getting your consent first. 

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos