Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam or real?

beccio76
Tuning in

Hi, I have been contacted by a guy from this email address and mobile number

[MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED]

He claims to be from the Virgin media retentions team and has offered me a heavily discounted new contract. I didn't give over any details as he seemed to know me and my account and after telling him I would be happy to accept the new improved contract, I have recieved an email with my new contract documents in from the email vmteam@virginmedia.co.uk But something just feels off about it all. How can i check if the email numbers and phone number are genuine?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

6 REPLIES 6

Anankha
Problem sorter

Did he ask for any personal information like account details, passwords, bank/card details?
Have you checked under your online account to see if the new contract is showing?

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

No he's not asked for any of my details or anything, that's the thing though, every time I've been contacted by Virgin in the past they at least try to verify my Identity, he just offered me the new package and then I got an email detailing my new contract but it's not showing up on my Virgin media account. Although nothing ever does that quick, it takes 2 days for an account bill payment to show up.

Hi @beccio76 thanks for your post here although we're sorry to hear of your concerns raised regarding this package conversation.

Please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into this further for you and verify things.

Kindly expect the PM from me to arrive shortly, and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @beccio76 thanks for your reply via PM, I am coming back publicly as we have exhausted our security checks without success sadly over PM.

This does mean I can't confirm or deny if the caller was genuine, but if you contact us on 150 / 0345 454 1111, the team can investigate this for you.

In reference to our conversation, we do have both UK and overseas agents operating simultaneously - it is just a case of which agent is available at the time your call is routed through.

Please give the team a call and we'd love to be able to reassure you on this either way, and address any other concerns that you have.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Tom, you took me through security, i gave you my name, my account number, my address, my last bill amount, the fact that i don't use direct debits and you fail me on the fact that I can't give you an my 'next payment date' because it has not yet been updated on YOUR site? What kind of service is this? I gave you everything you asked for and you just kept coming back with questions until you failed me on one.

You then send me a link to a private chat that instead takes me through to a page offering me upgrades and offers from Virgin media NOT a private chat, so you then tell me to call customers services, customer services that rarely speak English, customer services I have already called before coming on here over 5 times and gotten nowhere because they can't even take down my name correctly due to the language barriers.

I just want you to tell me whether these emails and calls I am getting are genuine, I don't want to get into my bank account and withdraw £1m. 

I can't believe when customers are being contacted from people claiming to be from Virgin, and everything looks to be legit, they have my email, my phone number, my name and address but something feels not quite right about it, that Virgin don't have a way of checking these emails and numbers to prove if they belong to the company or not, it's criminal.

Hi @beccio76

Thanks for coming back to us, I am sorry you're frustrated with the security checks we must go through.

They are in place to keep customer's information as safe as possible, as you've failed them with Tom the next best steps would be to either call the customer service team like Tom has advised, or we can get a reminder letter sent out. If you'd like us to get a letter sent, please let us know and we can go into a private message to get it processed. 

Thanks,

Megan_L