Menu
Maggie64
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Scam calls

I have been receiving a lot of scam calls lately. Mostly stating to be from Amazon, BT, or Sky. Today I got one from an Asian woman, who claimed to be from Virgin. She didn't ask me to verify myself, but said there has been technical issues with with my account. I asked her to verify my IP address and she hung up. Is there anyway of blocking all international calls? The number she called from is 01547043694.

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam calls

You can filter out scam calls using a call-screening phone or dedicated call screening device.

The scam calls may be from overseas but often use fake caller ID, so blocking international calls alone will not be of much use in stopping them.

Devices such as trueCall or some of the BT phones with screening features can filter out the scam calls very effectively.

Maggie64
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I'll look into buying a new home phone, which will allow me to bar certain calls. 

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Before purchasing anything, be clear on the difference between call screening and call blocking.

A simple blocking phone is not much use against the scam calls as the scam ID numbers are usually fake and change frequently so you will never be able to block all of the potential incoming numbers. Also, if you do blanket block on (say) withheld numbers, you may also stop legitimate calls from services such as doctors and hospitals.

Instead, in a call screening process, known callers in your phone address book get straight through but unknown callers are challenged to press a specific phone key and/or state who they are before your phone is allowed to ring. The automated diallers cannot respond to this and the call is screened out without ringing your phone. Legitimate callers who might withhold their number (such as hospitals) can also get through as they are able to respond to the prompts to process the call and allow your phone to ring.

The BT phone ranges are popular and have been mentioned as working well on the forum.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/7-spam-calls-today-supposedly-from-Virginmedia/m-p/4...

There are some occasional rare mentions of issues with VM caller ID and BT phones so make sure that wherever you buy from has a good returns policy on the off-chance there is a problem on your particular VM line.