Menu
MarcF
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Scam call

I just received a call from 01555-799827 with a recorded message saying that my Internet will be disconnected in the next four hours due to a faulty router, press 1 to speak to my provider. I presume it is a scam - especially as when I hung up and called back, the number was unrcognized/out of service. This is twofold really - asking if anyone else has had this and also to warn. I am trying to get V/media customer services, but of course they are understaffed and overworked because of the pandemic at the moment.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
BazSmith
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam call

Been getting a shed load since yesterday (3 Feb)    Vast majority are silent when the call is answered. However, there have been a couple where an "asian" sounding male  claims to be from VM and has noted that my router has lots of errors on it.    Lost my rag a bit yesterday with them, but dealing with a family bereavment currently so really not a good time to have to deal with this rubbish, plus can't just change number block all unknown numbers as we' need to deal with a lot of genuine calls (apologies for the life story 🙂 )

Anyway...here are a list of some of the numbers that called yesterday (have been calls today also, but don't have those to hand)

0 Kudos
MarcF
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I got through to customer services and it is indeed a scam. I have blocked the number.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MarcF
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear about your bereavement :(. I am registered with Telephone Preferences Services and get few cold calls - so this one slipped through. But I have just confirmed with customer services that it is nonsense.
0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Listing and blocking individual numbers is, unfortunately, of no use. This is because the numbers are either faked and don't exist or are real numbers, belonging to someone unconnected with the scammers, which the scammers have misused for their scam calls.

The calls are automated using lists of numbers to work through. Once your number is identified as active, the calls will continue.

Filtering the calls with a device or phone which has screening features (as opposed to blocking individual numbers) is the only way to deal with the scam calls, whilst still having normal use of your landline.

0 Kudos