Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Scam call

I just received a phone call from 01061148880 claiming to be Virgin Media and and automated message saying how they were receiving several errors their end via my modem and that my internet would be disconnected within 4 hours, and how I would need a new router upgrade. Then to press one to talk to an adviser. The adviser... then said the same thing, said my phone number as proof and that I need to log onto my computer for the to carry out checks... which I did, and then they wanted me to enter "www.  anydesk .com (broken the web addressed so no one can just click it nd be taken to it) into run on my computer. As they were telling me this I asked them if they could prove who they are, more than the phone number they gave me that they called on, as they used my phone number as proof of who I am and who they are. She went away from the phone to confer with someone and came back that they couldn't give out any information due to confidential reasons.

Anyway, as they were spelling out what they wanted me to enter in the run command I was typing it in the search bar to Google it because it started with www for a start.... They asked me if I had done what they asked. I replied with that I had searched for what they had asked me to type and they hung up.

In the background I could hear another man, one at least, claiming to be working for Virgin Media. on the phone to someone else. So several calls have gone out this morning.

I thought you, and other people should know.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam call

Good to read that the miscreants failed to coerce you into installing AnyDesk to execute their technical support scam; it is common for such scams to abuse remote access software.

@amamay wrote:

… The adviser... then said the same thing, said my phone number as proof and…

Out of curiosity, did the miscreant quote a different phone number to that on which the call was received as proof?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam call

To be honest I am not sure. It was kind of hard to hear them as there was a lot of background noise and then they started rolling off a number and by the time I realised... Hehe, but the last 4-5 numbers where the same as mine

0 Kudos