Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Scam call

Hi,

I keep getting calls saying that my broadband is going to be disconnected due to "illegal activities" on my service. I know that it is a scam and I was put through to an executive(?) and as I expected it was a man with an Indian accent. I told him what I thought about him and slammed the phone down. The phone number from which they called from is:

01899-780624. So I am just making members of this community and Virgin Media customers that this scam is about. So be aware and don't give any details.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam call

Hi Bottip1

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and making the community aware.

I'd also like to welcome you to the community as I can see this is your first post to us!

Sorry to hear you're being bothered by scam callers, I know this isn't the most pleasant of experiences. I'd kindly advise that you check out our dealing with bogus calls page for what steps to take if you get a suspicious call.

If you haven't already, I'd also recommend registering with TPS (Telephone Preference Service) as they'll help to filter out the scam calls. Unfortunately, some calls will still fall through the net and get through but it will make a difference being registered with them.

Lastly, I'd just like to confirm that no details were given to the caller or on other occasions, just so I can ensure that your account is protected and secure.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Beth_G wrote:

If you haven't already, I'd also recommend registering with TPS (Telephone Preference Service) as they'll help to filter out the scam calls. Unfortunately, some calls will still fall through the net and get through but it will make a difference being registered with them.

Compliance with industry practices / standards (like TPS)  is unlikely to figure in a miscreants criminal enterprise and will not stop these calls.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@bottip1 wrote:

I keep getting calls saying that my broadband is going to be disconnected due to "illegal activities" on my service. I know that it is a scam and I was put through to an executive(?) and as I expected it was a man with an Indian accent. I told him what I thought about him and slammed the phone down. The phone number from which they called from is:

Do not engage with such callers because, depending on how sophisticated the scammer is, doing so may result in more calls.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice. I will do that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have registered with TPS but I still got another call again this morning from the same one.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi bottip1

They are very clever and can bypass TPS. All that TPS allows  is people and businesses to opt out of unsolicited live sales and marketing calls.

Alternatively our regulator Ofcom have their own hints and tips for managing these calls at ofcom.org.uk/nuisancecalls.

Sadly there is not much we can do stop calls like this 

Just need to make sure that no personal information is given if they call again 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos