Menu
Highlighted
DaemonicShaman
Joining in
Message 11 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam call supposedly from BT technical department.

I've just received another call from the same people, and after playing along for a while, it seems to be a variation of a similar scam that pretends to be from 'Microsoft Technical Support'

When I told them (again) that I was with Virgin Media, they told me that virgin 'only do the billing' and that it was BT who provided the internet service and security. I then pointed out that Virgin Media use their own fibre network, they again tried to convince me that they really use BTs infrastructure. 

The first guy wanted me use the run panel to open a web page, and I told him that I wouldn't do that, so he passed me onto someone else who wanted me to open the events viewer, but was spelling it out phonetically - about half way through I asked him if he wanted me to open the events viewer, and he asked me if i knew what it was. When I told him that I did, and what it's used for, he passed me onto a third person - who started to go through the spiel again, before I interrupted him - and wanted me to install Team Viewer, and when I asked him why he wanted to get access to my PC he didn't seem to have an answer.

I would caution people to be wary of these people, especially if you're not very computer literate, as I could easily see how their spiel could fool people into doing what they want.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@DaemonicShaman wrote:

I've just received another call from the same people, and after playing along for a while, it seems to be a variation of a similar scam that pretends to be from 'Microsoft Technical Support'

When I told them (again) that I was with Virgin Media, they told me that virgin 'only do the billing' and that it was BT who provided the internet service and security. I then pointed out that Virgin Media use their own fibre network, they again tried to convince me that they really use BTs infrastructure. 

The first guy wanted me use the run panel to open a web page, and I told him that I wouldn't do that, so he passed me onto someone else who wanted me to open the events viewer, but was spelling it out phonetically - about half way through I asked him if he wanted me to open the events viewer, and he asked me if i knew what it was. When I told him that I did, and what it's used for, he passed me onto a third person - who started to go through the spiel again, before I interrupted him - and wanted me to install Team Viewer, and when I asked him why he wanted to get access to my PC he didn't seem to have an answer.

I would caution people to be wary of these people, especially if you're not very computer literate, as I could easily see how their spiel could fool people into doing what they want.

They say that when they call me too - “VirginMedia is part of BT. BT provide all suppliers with BB” etc.
Yes they spell out event viewer for me too - must think I’m an idiot, LOL.
They do this so that they can point out all the ‘errors’ within event viewer as ‘proof’ of the problem.

Unfortunately these scammers can con enough people to make it pay. Woman Sad

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 13 of 25
Flag for a moderator

There was also a VISA card scam going around the Manchester area (which also ties in with the BT technical department scam), and I know of people who have had the VISA scam calls and I have informed them that the calls are fake.  I have had the BT calls but not the VISA calls.

The originators of this scam have been tracked down by youtuber Jim Browning and the video can be found here.

It's worth a watch as these scammers may have legit customers (big names).

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Scam call this morning purporting to be offering cover for electrical appliances. Number was international. Chances are they were after card details. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Janet6
Joining in
Message 15 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Different number 01339581219 but I’ve just had exactly the same experience - saying the internet is going down in the next 24 hours and BT do all ISPs. I called the number back just out of interest and it was completely dead. Thanks to all the posts here that confirmed my suspicion of scammers.

Highlighted
cybmole
Community elder
Message 16 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@jamesofmerton wrote:
i deal with this nonsense most days anankha. they now use uni students on gap years to make some calls. having an english person at the end of line is catching more out.

i wonder how many of those uni students are studying ethics 🙂

and how they sleep at night having successfully scared and scammed a few OAPS

hopefully they get paid with fraudulent checks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 17 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@Janet6 wrote:

Different number 01339581219 but I’ve just had exactly the same experience - saying the internet is going down in the next 24 hours and BT do all ISPs. I called the number back just out of interest and it was completely dead. Thanks to all the posts here that confirmed my suspicion of scammers.

https://www.geopunk.co.uk/phone-area-codes/01339-aboyne

Cairngorms National Park area (Northeastern Scotland).  That would be a great place to work as there's not much there.  Probably why you didn't get an answer.Smiley Wink

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 18 of 25
Flag for a moderator

My mother picked up an "aggressive female" call from "BT" this morning enquiring about her "awareness of broadband hacking".  She hung up. 0112 "area code" which doesn't exist.

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Highlighted
TheBluesBrother
Superfast
Message 19 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I received a Phishing email this morning which I reported, this afternoon I received a call from a lady on my Virgin media landline wanting to talk to me about my BT account, she must have quickly realized her mistake and quickly hung up.

It has gotten so bad now everybody is at it, scams, scams and more scams, a simple solution that works for me if you have a Virgin Media landline, don't answer it, stay safe...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
cybmole
Community elder
Message 20 of 25
Flag for a moderator

a better solution will be ..

if you have a VM landline - or any landline really - get rid of it at next contract renew.

and its surely time for VM to charge us less , not more, if we don't want the landline part of a bundle

with (android) mobiles it's

1) harder for scammers to get your number [ & I  don't think they can systematically robo-call everything from 0001 to 9999 like they can with landlines)

2)it only takes 1 tap to mark as spam and it will never ring again

( I expect iphone has a similar option )