Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Scam call or genuine?

Hi guys

Had a call yesterday stating they were from Virgin Media, they even got the main name on the account correct (it was changed less than 2 years ago when my father died). They were talking about offering a new router for free. They were asked to repeat because their accent was so strong and when told there was nothing wrong with our router they hung up.

So 2 questions, first, and I'm pretty sure of the answer, was that a genuine call from VM offering to replace/upgrade my VM box?

Second, if it was a scam call, how did they know the changed account holder's name? My father's name was the main name for something like 20 years so that could be understandable, but how would they know something that was changed under 2 years ago? Was this part of the data breach? Is this information freely available somewhere or only from data breaches?

Thanks

Daz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam call or genuine?

Hello

By chance do you have the number they called from, it does sound like it is genuine but without the number cannot say 100%.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I wish I did Mike. The number was hidden.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I do know that there a lot of VM staff are working from home which is why the number is withheld, did they ask you to confirm any digits from your telephone password ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No, which is why I'm sure it was a scam call and if it was then the next question has to be how did they get access to the account holder name when it was changed under 2 years ago?

I still think there was more data leaked through the big data breach than VM are telling us.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi dazd,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a warm welcome to you, I can confirm we are changing some of our customers routers  .

So I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul

0 Kudos