Menu
Elsie348
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Scam call - number included for info

Hi,

We had what I assumed to be a scam call this morning, claiming to be Virgin Media. 

The woman, who had a very strong Asian accent and was quite tricky to understand, said that they (VM) were ringing because there had been an error flagged up, sent to them by our router (or something). My dad - who is 83 but fairly savvy - was starting to engage with her (we have recently had a VM engineer out for the landline, so he perhaps thought it was a follow up to this) but, luckily, was having such trouble understanding her that he handed the call over to me. 

She said that this was a daily checkup call due to the errors and because so many people had been in touch to complain about dropping speeds, etc. 

I did say we hadn't noticed any issues but she claimed this was normal?! She also wanted to know what the lights were doing on the router (so I told her) and how often I checked the speeds.

Then there was something about certain sites that can cause these errors and ways to block them... 

THEN she wanted me to go onto the main device for the household. At this point, I told her, quite truthfully, that it wasn't a convenient time and that we'd contact VM ourselves if we had any issues.

She accepted this (unusual for a scam call!) and that's where the call ended. 

I'd been wary from the get-go but as soon as she wanted me to go onto a device I was convinced that she'd then be asking for remote access (which I wouldn't have given her). 

The call came in at 9:21am, and when we dialled 1471 the number was 00412083127667.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
goslow
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam call - number included for info

You correctly identified the call as a scam. You will find dozens of identical posts on this forum and 'Home Phone'. The scam calls are a modern-day menace.

The best approach is to hang up immediately and not talk to them. If you are concerned that your parents might be tricked by future scam calls, consider getting a screening device such as trueCall which will prevent the automated scam calls from ringing your home phone.

0 Kudos
Elsie348
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, @goslow

He was already doubting it, and I think (hope) he would have stopped short of actually letting them onto his computer!

We'll look into trueCall. Does that work on landlines that go through the router? Ours has just been changed to that set up. 

0 Kudos
goslow
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it should work via the VM hub connection but it might be necessary to get trueCall technical support to remotely access the device and 'tweak' the device settings. This is because the trueCall works via caller ID and, in some areas, VM caller ID is presented differently to other UK landlines. Just depends on your geographical area.

It is best used with a cordless phone setup. The trueCall plugs into the landline (hub phone socket for you) and the cordless base station plugs into the trueCall. That way all calls to all phones are processed through the trueCall.

The trueCall device web page is here

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

and the 'call blocker' manual (which is not a hard technical read) is here which explains how it works

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/126.htm

It 'screens' calls (rather than blocks numbers). Unknown callers who ring are required to say who they are and press a key on their phone in order for the call to progress. The automated scam calls cannot comply with this and so the call is dropped by the device without ringing your home phone. Friends and family numbers can be programmed into the device and they ring straight through with no screening. Even if a scam callers tries to get through, the trueCall plays the caller's announcement and you decide to accept or reject the call without actually speaking to them at that point. It also acts as your answering machine so legitimate callers can leave a message.

I've used it for 12+ months now and have had zero scam calls come through. Some BT phone ranges have 'trueCall technology built in' (which will be in the product descripion) and they work in a very similar way but are not quite as customisable.

If you have had the one scam call, and have engaged with them, it is pretty much guaranteed that they will try again, possibly with another storyline (Amazon, Microsoft etc.)

Elsie348
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. We will investigate!
0 Kudos