Menu
Pieman1972
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Scam call from "Virgin Media" Technical Team

Just received from [Removed]

After the 4 second delay "Hello....Hello.....I'm Alex [Surname] from Virgin Media Technical department......blah blah - hacker is using your internet connection to do very bad things and we need to access your internet connection to stop them............."

Lots of background noise - Indian accent......

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam call from "Virgin Media" Technical Team

@Pieman1972 wrote:

Just received from 01475 xxxxxxx

After the 4 second delay "Hello....Hello.....I'm Alex [Surname] from Virgin Media Technical department......blah blah - hacker is using your internet connection to do very bad things and we need to access your internet connection to stop them...........

I have flagged your post to the moderators and asked them to redact that phone number.

Scammers always spoof (falsify) the number which appears in caller display in order to hide their tracks and so they can call you back quoting a different number and evade the block that you have probably set for the 01475 number.

It is coming up as a live number in the Greenock area and will belong to a completely innocent person or organisation who is completely unaware their number is being spoofed by scammers.

Putting the number up on a public forum could well result in this innocent party receiving many nasty calls from people who mistakenly believe the subscriber is connected  with the scam.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Pieman1972
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Good call - apologies......

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Pieman1972 wrote:

Good call - apologies......

No problem, no need to apologise.

For a long time scammers seemed to use completely fake numbers. Years ago I remember getting calls that came up "01234 567890" and even "99999999999". Not very convincing. 🤔

Sadly these days they tend to use genuine landline or mobile numbers which means that as well as the damage they do to their victims. they can also cause collateral damage to the poor innocents whose numbers are appearing in caller display.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Pieman1972

Thank you very much for alerting us to this fraudulent call that you received and for remaining vigilant.

I am sorry to hear you received a scam call pretending to be us, please visit this link to see what you can do to put a stop to this.

We also recommend that you report the call to https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Thanks,

Serena

0 Kudos