Menu
Highlighted
Just browsing
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Scam call from Virgin

Elderly father phoned by 'Virgin' this morning. Kept on phone for 90 mins doing stuff to his computer (seemed plausible to him as he'd been having speed issues). The further call with offer of £200+ compensation as they could see he'd been having 'issues' to appear in his acct straight away. then £9K appeared in account then plaintive call from accts guy saying his job's on line and they have to get it back blah blah blah....transaction is reversed. Sure he's been scammed. How can I verify with Virgin if any such calls have taken place?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam call from Virgin

@JJ79Xyx wrote:

Elderly father phoned by 'Virgin' this morning. Kept on phone for 90 mins doing stuff to his computer (seemed plausible to him as he'd been having speed issues). The further call with offer of £200+ compensation as they could see he'd been having 'issues' to appear in his acct straight away. then £9K appeared in account then plaintive call from accts guy saying his job's on line and they have to get it back blah blah blah....transaction is reversed. Sure he's been scammed. How can I verify with Virgin if any such calls have taken place?

you dont have to verify anything with VM - its a 100% scam - someone needs to speak to your fathers bank to block anything - all passwords need changing and computer would be better formatted to get rid of anything they have left on it

hopefully at the end of it your father has lost no money but act quickly

Tony
Highlighted
Just browsing
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Tony....my thoughts exactly. Will do all of that. Thankfully bank security stepped in so I think all ok but am sure there'll be stuff on his computer now. Re format and new passwords coming up.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@JJ79Xyx wrote:
Thank you Tony....my thoughts exactly. Will do all of that. Thankfully bank security stepped in so I think all ok but am sure there'll be stuff on his computer now. Re format and new passwords coming up.

Sorry to hear about this scam on your father. In addition to the advice from @-tony-, this link from CAB gives a useful list of issues to think about and follow up after such an event.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/scams/what-to-do-if-youve-been-scammed/

It sounds as if your father has been victim of a 'refund scam' where the scammers gain access to the victim's computer and online banking. They then manipulate the banking information shown on screen to appear as if a refund is being given in real time to the victim when, in fact, they are withdrawing money from the account.

Glad to hear the bank security stepped into the process. I hope any losses are minimal.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JJ79Xyx,

I'm so sorry to hear that your Father received a scam call and that the callers gained access to his computer. This certainly wasn't us. We'd never call our customers first to notify them of an issue, neither would we ask them to download software on any device which grants remote access.

Here is a page we have available on our website which includes some important information of how to deal with fraudulent calls: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-calls. I would really recommend showing him this link which includes some precautions you can take if he ever receives a suspicious call in future. It also includes some links to free virus scanners which he can run on his device and how to remove any software that may have been installed.

If he is still having some issues with his broadband speeds, we'll be more than happy to look into that for him too. If he checks our service status page, this will list any known faults that have been reported in his area. He can also run tests on his equipment from there if there are no reported issues.

If there's anything else we can do to help further please do let us know. I hope all is well with your father.

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just browsing
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you GoSlow....no losses and in fact at point bank security stepped in , perpetrator's name and account details were visible in the bank system. At very least account will be shut down. At best he can be located. I've reported to Action Fraud.

Thank you all for quick replies. I'll update thread if I hear any more.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just browsing
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Beth.

He does have service issues. He has records of months of substandard speeds.It drops frequently.  He has hung on and got cut off from offshore call centres and is highly frustrated with it. I have talked him through the screens you suggest (I don't live locally) and he got so far but not to a conclusion. That is why he was delighted to exchange so much info with the scammer thinking Virgin had picked up on fact he was having a problem. All he wants is for an engineer to visit and sort it out. That doesn't appear to be an option without jumping through many online hoops that are impossible to navigate for most 80 year olds.After today he will be nervous about any telephone contact. A visit in person from someone with verifiable ID is the only way forward. Can that be arranged?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JJ79Xyx,

Thanks for coming back to me.

If we find that an engineer is required, that can certainly be arrange for him from here. However before doing this, we would need to understand more about the background of the situation. Firstly, I would just like to check what speed package he is subscribed to, and what speeds he's been received (ideally over a wired connection if possible).  With this information, it will allow us to figure out what and where the issue is, whether it's external/external.

If there is also any sort of pattern to the speed issues e.g whether this just occurs during the day time or certain times of the day, that would be helpful to know also.

I appreciate you don't live local to him, but we'd love to speak with him directly from here if possible? He's more than welcome to create and account and I'll be happy to pop him a message.

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@JJ79Xyx wrote:

Thank you GoSlow....no losses and in fact at point bank security stepped in , perpetrator's name and account details were visible in the bank system. At very least account will be shut down. At best he can be located. I've reported to Action Fraud.

Thank you all for quick replies. I'll update thread if I hear any more.

That's good to hear that the bank security systems cut in and stopped it. I have friends and family members of a similar age and older and am aware that we have had a few 'near misses' like this ourselves in the past.

For the future, you might like to have a look at a call screening and blocking device for your father's landline. I use a device by trueCall.

The company offers a package which combines the screening/blocking device with an online control panel for the device

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

You would be able to set it up in such a way that only an approved list of callers can ring straight through to your father's phone. Other callers go through a screening process which blocks out scam and spam calls. The online control panel means you can view who has been calling the line (including blocked calls) and can change settings remotely yourself as required to deal with them.

I'm sorry to say that, once the scammers have made contact, they will invariably try again. It might be a useful addition which can block the scammers reaching your father directly.

0 Kudos