Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Scam call claiming to be Virgin media

Reporting scam call from telephone number 01689 812981 claiming to be Virgin Media.

You really need to have a plan to get these numbers banned.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam call claiming to be Virgin media

Would that it were that easy. It would have been done long ago. It isn't technically possible to ban these calls. The numbers displayed are spoofed (ie made up) and keep changing. There is even a new trick used by some scammers to use real domestic numbers. Ban those and you don't get calls from anybody.

The best thing to do is simply put the phone down. The scams only exist because enough people are foolish enough to answer and act on them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Easy to say people are foolish and not a savvy as you.

Think about the elderly or vulnerable, something should be done, must be possible to trace the calls and shut these scammers down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Do you really think I'm not aware of such issues. You asked a simple question. I gave you a simple answer. It isn't possible to trace them. The calls are frequently made from outside the UK. The numbers are spoofed and the old fashioned notion of tracing calls is not practicable or feasible anymore. Just because you wish it were possible doesn't mean to say that it is possible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So we'll just allow the elderly or vulnerable to continue to be scammed then.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No we don't. We try and tell them to be cautious and aware when answering the phone. We encourage them to use the TPS to reduce the number of marketing calls (usually from legitimate sources) so they don't get overwhelmed. There are commercial call blockers on the market which work to some extent and only allow known numbers through. The police and the NCA have closed down a number of scam outfits in the UK and heavily fined or imprisoned the perpetrators. But if the calls come from Russia or Moldova or obscure places in India or elsewhere where law enforcement is poor, then the inevitable will happen. There is a limit to what is possible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ban the numbers. Really!

These scammers can choose ANY number they wish & spoof it.

Read this post from a few days ago:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/phishing-swarm-Use-Due-Care/m-p/4440969/highli... 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Must be my (un)lucky day. Thats the third time today my phone has rung with a fake number😒

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Something needs to change for the better...

I might cancel my landline, the number of scam call recently. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

And mobile phones don't get scam calls?

0 Kudos