Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Scam call - 'Robin' from Virgin Media

I took the call just now on my land line. Guy with an Indian accent called ‘Robin’. Asked me to go to my Mac, open the browser, and go to [REMOVED] . This I did to see what happened, but then I hung up.

The page is full of links to a copy of TeamViewer.dmg, so clearly he wanted to take remote control of my Mac.

Anyway, I stopped before he could do any damage, but wanted to notify folk.

Given that my phone number is associated with Virgin Media, and this has happened over the past couple of weeks, I'm assuming this is connected with the data breach.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam call - 'Robin' from Virgin Media

Nope. The scammers are just chancing it. The number allocations of each provider in every STD code area in the country are readily available online. The scammers assume that if they phone numbers allocated to a provider they will more than likely get a customer using that provider. So they don’t need a “data breach” to get the info they want.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I wondered that. Blimey - they're persistent then - they would have gone through (literally) thousands of numbers if they were incrementing - or decrementing - numbers within the sub-code. I can't remember if they mentioned my surname at the start of the call through;  something I never say when I pick up the phone.

Either way, it's a PITA. I suspected it was a fraudulent call but I thought I'd lead him on to work out how he was going to attempt to take control. 

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stu531, 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and for shining a light on it for all the other users that may get into the same situation. 

This post is sure to help quite a lot of people with the information you've provided!

If you still have the number that they called on, you can try reporting it to the TPS who are the organisation that combat scam calls such as this.

Again, thank you so much. 

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Megan_L wrote:

<snip>

If you still have the number that they called on, you can try reporting it to the TPS who are the organisation that combat scam calls such as this.

<snip> 

Megan_L

For clarity, TPS do not deal with spam/scam calls. Taken from the page below:

"Our remit covers live unsolicited sales or marketing calls. We can only deal with complaints regarding these types of call."

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/pages/nuisance

The page also contains a long list of which organisations deal with which types of nuisance calls.

Having tried reporting on both the OFCOM and ICO websites in the past, I can confirm that reporting just one single event is a fairly time-consuming and tedious process.

0 Kudos