cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam call - Broadband speed

vmalt00mp
Tuning in

Received a call from an Oxford number at 13:46 today.

Normally don't answer calls from unknown numbers due to regular call that I assume are scam attempts, but did because I am expecting a call.

Got somebody claiming to be from Virgin Media. They used the same Internet speed slowdown script that others have reported for the last few months.

I told them that I didn't believe them and rang off.

I reporting this to show that the problem hasn't magically disappeared.

2 REPLIES 2

Client62
Legend

Perhaps number appear on this list  :   https://who-called.co.uk/

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@vmalt00mp wrote:

Received a call from an Oxford number at 13:46 today.

Normally don't answer calls from unknown numbers due to regular call that I assume are scam attempts, but did because I am expecting a call.

Got somebody claiming to be from Virgin Media. They used the same Internet speed slowdown script that others have reported for the last few months.

I told them that I didn't believe them and rang off.

I reporting this to show that the problem hasn't magically disappeared.

It won’t disappear until full digital switchover of the UK phone system from PSTN to VoIP in 2025. The current system has no security measures in place due to its age. Numbers can be faked or increasingly are cloned from genuine companies/other customers so that these scammers, most of whom are actually calling from India, can hide their true location as there is no end-to-end authentication. The numbers they “use” (or should I say misuse) are changed on an almost daily basis.

VM will never make technical outbound calls like this. This is the dead giveaway it is a scam.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks