Menu
Roboclaw
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Scam Upgrade Email?

Hi all,

I received an email this week from Virgin stating that I was now out of contract, and I would be able to either stay on my current plan or upgrade to a new one. I was offered a decent plan I could upgrade to in the email, and attempted to do this initially by calling 789 as they mentioned in the email, which eventually redirected me to their text message service.

However, I am now being told by the advisor that they don't offer that package, and this email wasn't sent by them, as this isn't their official email address. This was sent by: email.em.virginmedia.com.

I am very confused as the email contains details of my name, my current package, amount I am currently paying per month, my mobile number and the fact that my contract has ended?

Has anyone received anything similar? Don't know what to believe at the moment! Thank you.

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Upgrade Email?

Are you sure it was the mobile package and not the TV/Broadband? 150 instead of 789? It sounds as if you received your End of Contract notification

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
blackdogsdad
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I just got that same email. I didn't know I was actually on a finite contract with Virgin so was immediately suspicious.

Calling 150 didn't help as "due to Covid" calls are taking up to an hour to answer apparently.

Bit of a concern though as my account details were quoted on the email.

I'm treating this as a scam until somebody tells me differently!

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Well it isn't a scam. It is now an OFCOM requirement that VM tell you when you reach the end of your contract. In fact what they mean is the end of the promotional period of your contract during which you were receiving a discounted price, but they can't say it that way because OFCOM don't understand that after the discount period the contract still exists. . All VM contracts are in fact indefinite. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos