Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Scam Phone Call and no easy way to report

Taken phone call today from Virgin
They knew my very long unique broadband ID alpha numeric data
They got me to enter various bits of CMD data which revealed over 1300 errors since Feb
They wanted me to enter an email address into the CMD area so they could delete the errors
They were very plausible but I was suspicious and refused to do so
I asked where he was based (Indian accent) – he said 81 Newgate Street London
This appears to be a BT office address
They did not want to give any details beyond their name (Paul Smith – I ask you!)
They didn’t want to provide extension details so I could call back
He said this would result in him losing his job as he would told he was not doing his job properly!!!
I was already suspicious because I have had no sense of lower broadband speeds which was the purpose of the call
What I have had over the past two weeks is a number of breaks in landline telephone service with Virgin Media so I am wondering if the two things are related!
I tried to contact Virgin but found it impossible to talk to a person – Covid-19 cited as partly to blame.
There is no web chat facility
There is no email facility
It feels like a scam so I wanted to alert them and it is impossible to alert them so they can make their customers aware (duty of care?)
Surely they should be alerted if this is a scam and make their customers aware but there does not seem to be  any convenient way to alert other customers.
So I am posting this in the forlorn hope Virgin might take notice!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Phone Call and no easy way to report

Hello ive had a call today off this number +800183611 ive tried to find out if it was virgin as 8ve recently signes up for Internet and applied for a phone contract the web chat was very unhelpful. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@johnnich wrote:

Taken phone call today from Virgin
They knew my very long unique broadband ID alpha numeric data ...

@johnnich

You have correctly identified that this was a scam attempt. Hopefully you did not provide them with any personally identifiable information about yourself nor allow them remote access to your computer or banking information.

Unfortunately, now they have made contact with you, they will doubtless try again so be on your guard for further attempts. The best approach is to put the phone down and not engage with them.

Further advice is available below from the government National Cyber Security Centre

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/suspicious-email-actions

If you have had issues with your Virgin Media landline phone then you can post a query in the 'Home Phone' forum and one of the forum team should be able to help you with this.

If you continue to receive scam calls, then using a call blocker/screening device can help prevent these coming through to your phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response

Number of my caller was 01447725387

So quite a different number

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The incoming numbers which appear on caller ID are fake (as per your 01447 number) and change for each new scam call.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for your reply

0 Kudos