Menu
polly43
Up to speed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Scam Phone Call - Ostensibly From Virgin?

Just received a phone call from an Indian Lady claiming she was calling from Virgin.  She said that they had detected a virus (or something) on my computer and every time I used the Internet there were 'threats' entering my system and into my personal files.  She said Virgin were offering a free service that would scan my computer for me and get rid of them. (What?)   I told her that I would verify this for myself first from another source in case she was scamming me.  She was rather miffed at this so I said goodbye and put the phone down.  I ran Malware Bytes and AdwCleaner; neither of which found any threats.  Has anyone else received a phone call like this.  I have had no e-mails from Virgin Media about this either.  😟

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Phone Call - Ostensibly From Virgin?

Hundreds and hundreds of cases on this Forum . New ones every day. It's a long standing scam made more opportunistic because people are spending more time at home. VM would never phone you like this out of the blue on some imagined problem. The callers use spoofed numbers, often those of genuine subscribers. Don't engage. Don't speak. Just put the phone down.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @polly43.

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear you experienced this. As mentioned by @HowardML, those were indeed scam callers.

You may find the following link useful https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-calls.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
polly43
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that both.  I had an idea it was a scam but thought it best to check.  I also had a read through the recommended guff about how to report, etc.  I did a 1471 call check at the time and actually got the phone number.  When I checked it with 'Say No To 0870' I found out the call was from somewhere in India.  Does Virgin still have any Indian call centres?  I was wondering if people employed in them could be doing this?  🤔

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @polly43

Thanks for posting and being vigilant. 

The calls would not be from us. 

Please see more here 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos