Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam Emails

Good advice,  but nit everyone is on the forum I guess. Even a one off message to customers, using their names of course, just to list the points you've made would be useful.  I work for a bank so am probably more aware of scams but I was still not sure the first time.  Appreciate there are loads of these for different companies and they should be doing the same if they have been made aware. As a Virgin customer I expect them to do what they can to keep their customers safe.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@nicktadd1 wrote:

Not a lot publicly !  I think they should be putting it out there about this problem.  Only VirginMedia customers have access to the Forum

Not so.

The Forum and its content is open for all to view. 

Only if you wish to participate do you have to create an account and log on.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

It is indeed out there. It's more out there than Star Trek. Seek and ye shall find.  Try this: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/bd-p/Internet_Security and https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=scam+emails for starters...

Stay safe people...

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep wrote:

It is indeed out there. It's more out there than Star Trek. Seek and ye shall find.

Absolutely, I agree 100% 👍

The problem is that, like the horse and water, you can make the information readily available to everyone but you cannot force people to read it let alone make them actually use the information to protect themselves.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

IME senior citizens seem to be more receptive to being advised on these matters.  This sort of thing would be top priority had I carried on with voluntary work.  My mother's local church group is pretty much on the ball with this sort of thing.  The tubes is a good place to start.  On woman in Utah lost $300,000 (life savings) in a bank scam.  Again, the onus is on individuals; the bank doesn't have to refund you if you willingly "give" your money to scammers.

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep wrote:

… the bank doesn't have to refund you if you willingly "give" your money to scammers.

“⋮
Whether or not a consumer is reimbursed also comes down to whether they are deemed to be ‘grossly negligent’. The lack of definition of this term has led to inconsistencies across the sector and we recommend the regulators define this promptly. The regulators should require financial firms to provide consumers with clear guidance on what they expect of their customers in light of that definition.
⋮”
[source: Economic Crime: Consumer View

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Links to scam videos on youtube are posted here regularly: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/What-are-you-watching-now/td-p/2914384/page/40... (for example) along with other stuff that is interesting (or boring) depending on your point of view.  There is a video I linked that discusses why Indian Police take little or no action.  The other post above has links to videos that show how the scams work; who is behind them, and how users can protect themselves.

--
No system is 100% secure
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just to say to all that we have just received  an email stating : 

Our billing administration notice that your latest bill payment failed. It appears that some of the billing information associated with your account has expired or missing.

Your service is scheduled for automatic disconnection on: 25 January 2020.

To avoid interruption of your services we recommend that you sign in to My Virgin Media and follow the billing verification, 

Once you have complete the billing verification, your bill will be processed shortly and the automatic disconnection removed.

Thank you for being a Virgin Media customer!

Kind rеgards,The Viгgin Mеdiа team . 

What made it seem real was we pay our bill around this date and the only thing that made it dodgy was they didn't use our name  . So I hope this helps anyone and please be AWARE of the gits who do this to people . Thankyou 
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I’ve received what I believe is a scam text message, says it wants to chat about a recent order. It asks me to respond with the word CHAT. The number is a mobile number. Also received a suspicious call from “virgin” about same thing. But they hung up pretty quick when I said I hadn’t placed an order.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I just got one that said my details were missing from Virgin, and that my services would be stopped on 24th March unless I click a link, and enter my details there. The link looked like a regular Virgin Login, but had this address... It is fake... do not enter anything into it....