Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Scam Emails

Be Aware !!

There are a lot of SCAM EMAILS flying about at the moment perporting to be from VirginMedia or PayPal saying that there is "unusual activity on your account"

DO NOT FOLLOW THE LINK THEY PROVIDE - it is a scam to get your details.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Emails

Just received one of these. I seem to remember getting one this time last year.  Says there is a problem with my bill payment but the area code is wrong.  They do look convincing though.

What are Virgin doing to warn customers about these scams??

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@Lindajane59 wrote:

What are Virgin doing to warn customers about these scams??

VM posted this on the 'Security Matters' board of this forum on29th November 2019:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-29-11-2019/m-p/4111762 

and if you look on that part of the forum there are many, many regular warnings of the various 'your payment failed' type phishing emails.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

So VM does not want them forwarded to phishing@virginmedia.com anymore?   Mine got returned as failed deliery. 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

No, it just means they are already aware.

Quote from their help page on the subject:

"You can forward the suspicious email to our dedicated mailbox – phishing@virginmedia.com. Ensure you mark the message as Spam, then delete the email.

If after forwarding a suspected phishing email you receive a ‘Spam Content Found’ message from us, then we're already aware of the email and have taken steps to ensure the email is blocked on our Virgin Media Mail platform."

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Not a lot publicly !  I think they should be putting it out there about this problem.  Only VirginMedia customers have access to the Forum

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I was only aware of this when I joined the Community.  What about the thousands of other people who are not members of the Community ?  These scams should be put out into the public domain.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Not very successful then !  These scam emails are still being circulated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I agree, this should be communicated to customers.  The email is very convincing, it's hard to tell it's a fake.  Its clever as it's done just after Christmas and new year when it's not impossible that bank accounts may be low on funds, Last year I opened it before I realised it was a scam because the email address was weird and they asked for account details which of course they already have. Not everyone us going to realise and if they put the info in that's it.Virgin should be contacting all customers to warn them.

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@nicktadd1 wrote:

These scams should be put out into the public domain.

The problem is that such scam or phishing emails can appear to come from any major organisation not just VM.

There are currently scams circulating that appear to come from:
HMRC, DVLA, BT, Sky, all the major banks, Paypal.........and the list go on'

They all spin a story designed to get the recipient to reveal their password, username, bank account details so the scammer can get access.

Rather than getting every organisation to circulate each and every one of the thousands of examples of these emails we should all

1) get into the habit of being sceptical of unexpected emails from large organistions

2) be able to recognise a scam when we see it whoever it appears to come from.

Here is my personal checklist which requires no IT skills:

• Any email from a company that I have an account with that starts with a general greeting such as 'Dear Customer' rather than my name makes me suspicious before I have read any further.
  • Any email that demands immediate action, such as 'Your account will be closed in 5 days' is very suspect.
  • Any email that asks me to login to my account by clicking on a link  within the email immediately screams 'I'm a scam!'

There are other signs but if you always treat any emails with any of those warning signs as suspicious you will not go far wrong.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer