cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Calls?

DebJon
On our wavelength

In less than 24 hours we have received 3 calls to our landline, supposedly from VM, saying that our internet has been 'hacked' and we need to download protection. All calls are ended when we ask for proof that they are in fact from VM; all calls are from mobile numbers.

I'm concerned as we have recently been transferred to VOIP; could this have made our number/landline vulnerable in anyway? TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@DebJon wrote:

In less than 24 hours we have received 3 calls to our landline, supposedly from VM, saying that our internet has been 'hacked' and we need to download protection. All calls are ended when we ask for proof that they are in fact from VM; all calls are from mobile numbers.

I'm concerned as we have recently been transferred to VOIP; could this have made our number/landline vulnerable in anyway? TIA

When I had a VM landline, I found the pattern of scam calls varied between periods of intense calling (typically 3 or 4 calls per day) followed by relative periods of quiet (1 or 2 calls per week).

I used a trueCall device on the line for the last 18 months of my landline connection and it 100% eliminated the scam calls

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

More likely to coincidental that anything nefarious.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

@DebJon wrote:

Your number or landline is absolutely no more or less vulnerable. Imagine that I had a setup which systematically dialled every number in order starting at 00-000-0000, eventually, I’m going to hit your number, yes?

This, basically is how these scam companies work, they have a big bank of employees (probably on whatever passes for minimum wage in that part of the world, but with bonuses for successfully reeling someone in), and a system which literally dials all the numbers possible in turn, until someone answers and they are transferred to an ‘agent’ who starts the conversation, your router has been ‘hacked by many countries’, always makes me smile!

But no, this happens to lots of people every single day, that it happens to you soon after the transfer to 21CV is purely a coincidence. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@DebJon wrote:

When I had a VM landline, I found the pattern of scam calls varied between periods of intense calling (typically 3 or 4 calls per day) followed by relative periods of quiet (1 or 2 calls per week).

I used a trueCall device on the line for the last 18 months of my landline connection and it 100% eliminated the scam calls

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have had a second line with Vonage, a VoIP provider, for over 2 years & I still get these calls. At the moment it does not matter the technology that you use. Landlines in this country have to work to the lowest common denominator as far as security is concerned, & that is the dated PSTN exchange. When these are retired in 2025 we can all start using VoIP as standard & end-to-end verification of calls will be the norm.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks