Menu
paris
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Scam Calls Almost Daily

Receiving scam calls regarding illegal activity on my broadband and will be disconnected in 24 hours. It's an unavailable number and a press 1 to speak to a technician. 2 months ago it was we will cut off your phone line and coincidentally when I look back I then had no phone line for over 3 weeks. I'm on the telephone preference service too and regularly update it so how do they manage it?

DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Calls Almost Daily

Groups doing illegal things tend not to care about do not call registers, you'll also find it's a group operating out of somewhere such as India where they're untouchable by our authorities.

If you actually lost a service after receiving the call then you should buy a lottery ticket, as coincidences like that don't occur too often (but that's all it was, a coincidence.)

There isn't much you as an individual can do to stop these calls, they don't usually call from a blocked/withheld number and usually call from a spoofed/fake phone number which renders attempts at blocking a fruitless effort for the most part. Hopefully one day the phone networks will be updated to be more modern with call authentication, but until then this is the reality we live in.
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

scammers quite often work from lists of numbers. some have just the number, others have the name and other info too.  they are not interested in who you are. they are not interested in the tps. most are overseas. all they want is your money. if they just get a 1 in 100 success it makes it worthwhile for them.

i'm an anti scammer. recently i was told about a piece of software that scammers/hackers have made that sends 2000 emails every 15 seconds. the software 'makes up' email addresses. although there are bouncebacks, plenty get through to active accounts.  all the scammer does is sit back and wait for the replies... 

Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Scammers just use a carousel system that they input a range of phone numbers and each is dialled in turn, when the system detects an answer, they are put through to a person. Often you get no response from these type of calls and that’s because a person is not available, so eventually the line is dropped.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
prelanov
Settling in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

This used to happen to me on daily basis these calls and emails are a headache until i blocked these Indian guys. One advice will be not to give any of your personal info to these scammers.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I always give personal data to these scammers, unfortunately for them it’s not mine, just what I make up at the time. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Kippies
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

I always give personal data to these scammers, unfortunately for them it’s not mine, just what I make up at the time. 

Same. I also like to get to the "please give us your session number" when they try to connect in and make up the number. That REALLY frustrates them....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

We get them regularly saying they’re from the BT technical department & wanting access to my PC, if you tell them you’re not with BT then they claim all providers use BT.
Even if you press 2 to disconnect it goes through to these scammers.
I would just hang up as soon as you realise it’s a scam. 

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Got a silent one  "from Australia" a few minutes ago; reckon it's the scammers not knowing what day, time or country script they're supposed to be using...Man Mad

Good job we're on to them...Smiley Indifferent

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos
awr1946
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I’ve been receiving scams calls every day this week either saying my BT phone will be terminated or my internet will be cut off.  Also thanking me for £599 payment twice.  Each call was pre-recorded with a menu to follow.

Numbers include - 0185 765608, 01953 289845, 01628 15746 and 05349 329027

have others been getting similar calls this week?

0 Kudos