cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Caller or Really Virgin Media

Kracker
On our wavelength

Ever since I put in my 30 day notice I have received a call from 0800408xxxx (+44 800 408 xxxx) saying they are from Virgin Media and are reviewing my account but when I challenge them to prove they are really from Virgin Media they hang up, is this number a legitimate Virgin Media call or a scam?

If it is legitimate then why do they hang up and if it is a scam then how have they got my details straight after I submitted my 30 day notice.

Can a Forum team member advise.

Thanks.

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

1 REPLY 1

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kracker 

"Ever since I put in my 30 day notice I have received a call from 0800408xxxx (+44 800 408 xxxx) saying they are from Virgin Media            is this number a legitimate Virgin Media call or a scam?"

The problem is that even if it is a genuine number used by VM you cannot use the number that appears in your caller display to authenticate the caller. Scammers can easily spoof (fake) that number to make their scam call appear genuine.

"when I challenge them to prove they are really from Virgin Media they hang up,

If it is legitimate then why do they hang up"

That does make them look like a scammer.

Customer service staff are taught that they must take care to check that they talking to the customer when discussing details of their account. However, in my experience, they rarely seem to be taught how to handle the situation where the customer insists on the caller providing evidence that they (the caller) are genuine.

As a result they may just put the phone down on you and move on to their next call.

Bizarrely, scammers are very good at fooling people so a scammer would probably have tried to fool you into believing they are the real deal rather than just putting the phone down on you when challenged. 😊

VM Forum Team members (VM staff) have previously reported  on this forum that the VM retentions team do sometimes call customers during their notice period if a promotion or deal comes up that they think the customer may be interested in. 

So the call may have been genuine but equally it could have been a scam.

If they call again you could listen to what they have to offer. However my advice would be to be extremely wary, especially about giving bank details or other confidential information over the phone..

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks