Menu
BunnyWoof
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Scam Call - Internet Being Cut Off

Just had a call from an Indian gentleman (number 01132137xxx) who, after a very long delay, asked if i was aware that my internet was going to be cut off after 7 days.  Told him that he was obviously not from Virgin and, if he was, why was I getting a telephone call and not an email or text message asking me to contact the company if there was a problem with my account.  Told him to prove that he was who he said he was.  The phone went dead.

[mod edit - number edited incase it's an innocent number being spoofed]

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Call - Internet Being Cut Off

The long delay is a fairly obvious sign you have been “robo-called” by automated software, which has ascertained you are a real human being & not an answering machine, & then passed you on to the scam call centre.

The numbers used are either faked or increasingly are cloned from genuine businesses & households, hence the mod removal from your post above.

The only way of avoiding these is a call filtering phone with something like TruCall built in.

A word of warning. As you have answered one of these calls, the scammers will have now flagged your number as responsive. This will inevitably mean more calls from the same scam outfit, plus your number will be circulated to other scam call centres who will also try calling you.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@BunnyWoof wrote:

Just had a call from an Indian gentleman (number 01132137xxx) who, after a very long delay, asked if i was aware that my internet was going to be cut off after 7 days.  Told him that he was obviously not from Virgin and, if he was, why was I getting a telephone call and not an email or text message asking me to contact the company if there was a problem with my account.  Told him to prove that he was who he said he was.  The phone went dead.[mod edit - number edited incase it's an innocent number being spoofed]

Well, at least you recognised it for what it was, a scam.

Best approach is not to answer unrecognised caller IDs or let the call go to answering machine and listen to it later.

If you do happen to pick up a scam call, the best approach is to hang up without talking to the scammers.

Once they have confirmed a particular number is working, and someone at that number is willing to talk to them, it is only likely to generate more of the same scam calls.

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @BunnyWoof,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums 😄

It was a scam indeed- thank you for flagging this and for remaining vigilant!

We have some useful tips here on how to handle these types of calls. 

Feel free to give us a shout should you have any other concerns. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos