Menu
poojani17
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Scam - 01944643417

Called me telling my internet will be disconnected in 7 days time. He wanted me to install teamviewer. I started playing dumb and sometime later I got tired.

I wasted 15 mins of his life. 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam - 01944643417

@poojani17 wrote:

I wasted 15 mins of his life. 

I am sure you feel better for that but bear in mind that you were not talking to the scammer but to one of probably many the call centre agents he employs.  Unfortunately you have inadvertently helped the real scammer. Why?

Well they will have used an auto dialler to run through a block of telephone numbers allocated to a specific telecom provider or local area code. Of course many of those numbers will not be in use in which case the auto dialler simply moves to the next number.

Firstly, by answering the phone you have proved that your number is in use and that will now be flagged as such in the scammer's database. That means it is now a valuable resource and will probably be included in a list of live numbers that the scammer will sell on. You can expect many more such calls in future  from the same and other scammers.

Most importantly though, by engaging with the scammer you have been flagged as a someone who is willing to talk to them. Most people tell them to get lost or simply put the phone down on them. So that increases the value of your phone number when the scammer sells it on.

Also, you may have inadvertently given the scammer useful information. For example, if you told them you are with Virgin that will have been noted for future calls. The more information they know about you the more convincing they can sound in future.

I know it is seen as a big laugh to waste scammers' time but you are not really helping yourself when you do that.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos