Menu
jamescycling
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Safe search and kindle

Hi

just bought a new kindle fire 10. My virgin broadband settings should block all adult material, as it does on my iPad, but the kindle just allows any search/page. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Safe search and kindle

Amazon, Google and some other devices will default to using their maker's Domain Name Servers, rather than defaulting to the ISP's DNS.  A DNS (of which there are many) is the internet's address book for computers, and it's at this point that VM's web-safe filters work.  They can't easily block access because of how the internet works, so what they do is rub out the dirty books address entries - and as a result a tech-savvy teenager (as an example) would have no problem circumventing a DNS filter.  I've got web safe enabled purely because it was the default, but all my devices use my choice of DNS for privacy reasons, so (should I choose) I'd have no problem looking at ...stuff.

To achieve what you appear to want, you need to look up VM's DNS server addresses, and then delve in the Kindle's settings and replace the defaults with the VM DNS.  Even then, there's easy ways round it for anybody so minded.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jamescycling
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Great reply. Makes sense.

Okay so I think I need to change to static and input virgin ip address, gateway, DNS 1 and 2, and prefix etc? Not sure exactly what is needed in each section?

0 Kudos
jamescycling
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Great reply. Makes sense.

Okay so I think I need to change to static and input virgin ip address, gateway, DNS 1 and 2, and prefix etc? Not sure exactly what is needed in each section?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Normally just DNS 1 and 2 need to be changed, but I can't speak with authority because it could depend on the device you're using.  Once you've changed the DNS then you need to test it.  There's obvious ways of doing that, but if you don't want to then This Sophos test page may help, but I can't comment on how well it works.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos