Menu
rickp69
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SNMP Vulnerability

I have had a few notices recently saying one of my devices may have an SNMP vulnerability. I have checked for rules in the hub 3 settings to delete that use ports 161/2 but the only one there does not allow me to delete it. The IP address that has automatically created it is from my CCTV system which I assume is to allow me to view remotely. I cannot see anything in the CCTV settings where port 161 is mentioned to change it. Is there a way I can block the port completely to stop getting more notices through? Thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: SNMP Vulnerability

Hello

As long as the hub doesn't have a forwarded port in your case 161/162, then nothing from the internet can access that device.

Where is this message coming up, do you have a screenshot of it ?

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
rickp69
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

it is an email from internet-security@virginmedia.com

Please take action now: your home devices could be at risk

We have been alerted on four separate occasions that a device connected to your home network may have an SNMP vulnerability

Thanks Mike 🙂

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Thanks for getting back to me, it is something on your home network, so here is the instruction from virginmedia - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/snmp-vulnerability-alert one other thing that isnt mentioned make sure any computer you have on your home network are up to date.

Regards Mike

39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
rickp69
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have done all of that but there are no rules I can delete. As in my original post the only thing that mentions port 161 is an automatic rule generated from an IP that is my CCTV system - there is nothing in my CCTV settings that shows port 161 being required so cannot remove it there either. Stumped!

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

So it looks like the CCTV is setting that up which is why you getting the messages. As you have done everything on your side and the hub the next point off call would be the manufacture of the CCTV system as from what you have said it is basically phoning home.

I have a good look around and cannot find anything else that could stop it, maybe a VM staff member would like to comment.

Regards Mike

39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
rickp69
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike 😊

0 Kudos