Menu
tonymcf
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

SCAM?

Just had a call from a guy claiming to be from VM tech department.  Asking if i had noticed the internet "working slow or fast".  Sounded really suspect so i hung up.  Dialled 1471 and the following number was recalled:

0 Kudos
tonymcf
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: SCAM?

I've reported it to VM and given them the number.

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

See response below to a very similar topic in 'Home Phone' forum

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Being-bombarded-by-nuisance-calls/m-p/4593393#M14809...

Unfortunately, after the first scam call, you are pretty much certain to receive more of the same.

coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@tonymcf wrote:

Just had a call from a guy claiming to be from VM tech department.  Asking if i had noticed the internet "working slow or fast".  Sounded really suspect so i hung up.  Dialled 1471 and the following number was recalled:

I've reported it to VM and given them the number

You did right to hang up.

However, scammers always spoof (falsify) the number that appears in caller display and is reported by using 1471. Each time a scammer calls you it will appear to come from a different number.

0064 happens to be the international dialing code for New Zealand but in any case the number won't help VM identify the caller or block other calls he makes unfortunately.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer