Menu
Omnic
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Recieved a Network Attacks Alert Email

HI,

Today my family received an email of 3 separate instances of malicious traffic originating from a device that uses your home broadband connection

reference:

"VMIS62-NETWORKATTACKS-F008624666"

I am a university student that uses SSH to connect to a raspberry pi on my parents home network as well as hosting a website from the same device, I wonder if this is causing it, but since I am remote and my family are not tech-savvy, I have no way to play about and test.

Is there anyone that would be able to tell me specifics on what caused the alert and what steps I can do to stop it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recieved a Network Attacks Alert Email

The forum team are best placed to provide the information sought to the account holder; if that is you then post back here, or ask the account holder to post here, and the issue will be flagged to the forum team.

Check the Raspberry PI logs to determine if it is the cause.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Omnic
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am the account holder's son, messaging on behalf of the account holder with permission. I have full access to the account

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Issue has been flagged to the forum team however be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond; in the meantime I would suggest the account holder join the forum and post to this thread so the forum team can authenticate them and their permission (via private message 2019-04-30.jpeg).

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Omnic and welcome to our community.

Can we please confirm if the email contained a list of steps for you to detect the cause and stop this if needed?

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
Omnic
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In the "What to do next" section, it recommended using an anti-virus to scan and clean up devices, which all devices on the network do have. and a link to 

virginmedia.com/networkattacks for any extra assistance which I have already checked. 

It also suggests to activated Web Safe which we do also have turned on.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you've followed the steps then you should be safe, if the system does send you another email like this after following the steps outlined on the email please do let us know. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos