Menu
Hoggie
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Yet another attempted scam?

Had a call today asking me about my router and how it was causing problems for me.

Well thought it was time for a laugh with the scammer.

Was I with virgin media was the first question, he claimed to be from virgin media so I thought this is going to be easy.

Type of router was his next question, I have the VIN DA1000. Internet speed superfast 1MB. 

this is when he spotted the vindaloo router and told me to hang-up and  f**k off..

this post may contain nuts 😉
Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hoggie, thanks for being vigilant. 

You can find more info on the action to take for this kind of call here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-calls

Tom

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

The best course of action is to hang up & not converse with them at all.

It may sound like fun to play them along or get abusive with them, but there are risks to this.

Very often the numbers spoofed by scammers are cloned from genuine users to make them look more authentic. There have been incidents where victims have got abusive with scammers only to find they then get abusive calls from other victims that think they are scammers, as their numbers have been cloned & used to make a few thousand fake calls.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos