Menu
Jseguna
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Phone Call and no easy way to report

Similar situation to others in this chat. I had reported a fault around 4 days ago and now a scam call  was just received. It was pretty clear that it was a scam call with the guy calling himself Alex right with a strong Indian accent and a very noisy Indian call centre. He could not give me any details of who I was. All we wanted me to do was check the lights on my router and he wanted to remote in. It was pretty clear as a scam.

One thing that does seem very suspicious is that I reported a fault via Virgin media's Indian call centre. Therefore at first it did seem like a legit call. I am strongly suspicious that a member of your staff is leaking phone numbers of those that are suffering problems. I would strongly suggest that you looking to this person to see whether they are leaking information. This could be extremely dangerous for Virgin Media considering the repercussions of GDPR. Should you want to investigate this, you may look in my profile for my contact information.

0 Kudos
goslow
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Nothing to say your suggestion isn't possible but, on balance, it is more likely to be a case of coincidence IMO. This is the entire basis for how the fake telephone support scam works across all providers, not just VM.

Everyone, at some time, notices minor glitches and slow-downs with our broadband connections during day-to-day use. The scammers rely on this when they call. If you just so happen to have also placed a call to VM when you also receive a scam call, then that just adds weight to the scam story, for those who are not wary of the scammers' tactics.

Pieman1972
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it is possible but most of the "scam" calls are generated by automated calling systems, hence the delay when you answer and then someone saying "hello......hello...." before they go into their script.....

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Jseguna,

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you have been receiving scam calls, that is not ideal at all. Thank you for remaining vigilant and not giving out any personal details or allowing callers to access your Hub.

Please can you provide the phone number that you received the call from for me so that I can look into this further?

Have you visited Virgin Fraud Calls to see what you can do to put a stop to this? I would also suggest reporting the call to Action Fraud.

Kind regards,

Serena

0 Kudos