cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Letter received about possible malware infection

Nkeshav
Tuning in

I heard from virgin stafff themselves it’s all a ploy to get you to buy there virus service.  My daughter has had virus protection installed and all checks come back fine yet I still keep getting letters saying my device is at risk and they name a different malware each time. 
very bad tactics to make additional income 

2 REPLIES 2

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Nkeshav wrote:

I heard from virgin stafff themselves it’s all a ploy to get you to buy there virus service.  My daughter has had virus protection installed and all checks come back fine yet I still keep getting letters saying my device is at risk and they name a different malware each time. 
very bad tactics to make additional income 

If VM staff are saying that then I don't think much of the staff.  I've had letters from VM in the past and I did actually have an issue that needed resolving - In my case it was an application responding to mDNS requests that was flagged by Shadowserver.

In some cases it's very hard to work out what's going on, but it's not always a Virus, so Virus scan's aren't guaranteed to find the culprit.

@ModTeam at the very least it would help end users if - If there is a specific port being sent to, that they could be notified of which port.

It might then be possible to use a variant of my trick here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40... in order to look for malware.  Indeed I'd consider using the above anyway as a lot of malware is used by spammers to send via third parties.

Also check if anyone is using any "Free" VPN solutions (Hola in particular has been proven to be a conduit for things such as spam traffic)

Finally I must caution you against following @jem101 's advice.  Even if VM aren't going to disconnect you, the fact that they are sending these letters means you are being flagged up regularly by third party agencies.  VM's T&C's do warn that this could be considered grounds for termination of your contract if you do nothing and malicious traffic continues to come from your network.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Nkeshav,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry you have been getting these letters. 

I can assure you there is no ploy. The letters are sent when needed. 

It may not be your daughters device that is having the issue detected. We recommend running checks on all devices. 

^Martin