Menu
GRC
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Probable Scam Call - beware

Be aware there seem to be fraudsters calling from 08337888589 purporting to be from VM and wanting to "run tests" on your internet connection.

Very assertive asking how many devices attached to connection, that fraudsters have hijacked your connection and when asked how I can be sure they are from VM, just got aggressive and said I must cooperate and if not they would disconnect my internet with immediate effect. 

I said I would not react to unsolicited calls, suggested that they should do whatever and ended the call.  Miraculously my internet is still functioning as normal, now imagine that.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Probable Scam Call - beware

Unless you have downloaded anything you have nothing to worry about.

1) The numbers they use are spoofed. They either don’t exist or they are cloned from genuine customers & businesses that have nothing to do with the scam. They are quite capable of ringing you from your own number.

2) The scammers use OFCOMs freely available number allocation tables to call the batches of numbers allocated to Virgin Media & just assume because your number is one of theirs that you are a customer. They have no “inside” information.

3) The scammers are taking advantage of the huge loophole that our antiquated landline system is. Calls can be routed from India & look like they are coming from next door. Until the system goes entirely digital in a few years time there is no way of stopping these calls.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

GRC
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - pretty much what I thought - but I can see how some people might get pressured into giving out info!

0 Kudos
AndrewO65
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I've just had a phone call from someone claiming to be from Virgin Media asking me to download and install "any desk" remote computer access software to fix a router problem that was affecting my broadband. They also said that my broadband will go down in four hours.

I said that I've not got a problem with my router or broadband and that I'd contact VM before downloading any software then put the phone down.

Having read the previous messages pretty sure it's the same scam.

0 Kudos