Menu
Loney_J
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Pre-approve DD - text message?

Hi there, I’ve just set up an upgrade to my package via the chat function on the Virgin Media website, which meant a change in my DD amount. I received a text message saying they had failed to pre-approve my DD, and telling me to go to Virgin.media-monthly.com. I had to sign in and was then asked for all my bank details and mother’s maiden name which I didn’t give because I wanted to check - is it a valid request from Virgin? I couldn’t find any other mention on how to do this via the app or Virgin website. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
tvadikt
Dialled in
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pre-approve DD - text message?

Hi

This is the 3rd message on the forum I have seen with the email address you have stated.

I think it is a coincidence you received this just after upgrading, but fairly convinced it will be a scam (someone more knowledgeable than me will no doubt confirm this)

In the meantime, as you logged in with your virgin media account and password, I would definitely log back into to your account through the official virgin media website and change your password

Luckily - you didn't enter any more details!!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

THAT WAS A SCAM. If you give your details you have given them to criminals.
Contact your bank. Cancel your cards and change ALL yourt passwords NOW
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

"Luckily - you didn't enter any more details!!"
No but did give your VM password. So assume your VM account, VM email account and any accounts registered with that VM email are compromised and also any other service that uses the same password
0 Kudos
tvadikt
Dialled in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Good point apcyberax

I am not as knowledgeable as most on these matters, but just wanted to add a quick reply to the OP to ensure they could get things moving to hopefully minimise any potential problems

Loney_J
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I’ve changed my passwords for Virgin media and for this community chat but are you saying I need to change every single password which isn’t associated with Virgin media? Thanks for response 🙂

0 Kudos
Loney_J
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response. I’ve changed my Virgin media password and the password for this community chat - would you say this is sufficient? Those are the only two passwords I have which are associated with Virgin media. 
thanks again!

0 Kudos
Loney_J
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just an update - I should have mentioned that the text message was the latest in a saved string of messages previously received which are actually related to my account. Does this make it any less dodgy, or is it literally because it just says “VirginMedia” on the name at the top of the screen? Thanks again all!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

no its cus they speed a real number. the URL is not a Virgin one.

And i'd change all your passwords. With access to your VM account if you use the VM email i can use that to reset and access any account you set up with that email.
Also check and make sure no forwarding rules have been set up
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Loney_J wrote:

Just an update - I should have mentioned that the text message was the latest in a saved string of messages previously received which are actually related to my account. Does this make it any less dodgy, or is it literally because it just says “VirginMedia” on the name at the top of the screen? Thanks again all!

No it doesn't make it less dodgy.  The miscreants behind it have spoofed the sender details to make it appear to come from VirginMedia

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos