Menu
rocher
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Potential Fraud

Had a call from [REMOVED] saying my IP address has been compromised and needs to be changed? Thoughts / comments?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Potential Fraud

You are describing a typical opening line of a tech support scam call. Search the 'Security matters' and 'Home phone' forums for past topics which crop up regularly on this.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@rocher wrote:

Had a call from 01286xxxxxx saying my IP address has been compromised and needs to be changed? Thoughts / comments?

1) it is a total scam as I am sure you realise.

2) 01286 xxxxxx is a genuine number belonging to someone in Caernarvon who will be completely unaware that their number is coming up in caller display when those scammers make a call. Scammers always spoof (falsify) the number they appear to be calling from.

Putting that number on a public forum merely puts an innocent individual or organisation at risk from receiving nuisance and abusive calls from people who think they are talking directly to the scammers. It would be great if you could go back and remove that number from your post but I have flagged it to the forum moderators in case you cannot do so.

3) "Your IP address has been 'compromised'" is just a well known ploy to try to get you to allow the scammers to access your device, install malware and steal your passwords and security details.

4) Hopefully you ended the call without replying.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Molly_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @rocher,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear you have received such a call.

Please take a look at our page on Fraudulent Calls with advice about what you can do next in this case. 

Thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos