Menu
Papajoe61
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Possible scam

Has anyone heard of Anydesk? They contacted me regarding bad connection but I had been enquiring about my landline.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Possible scam

It's more than likely a scam call. Ignore it and don't give anyone access to your equipment

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Papajoe61
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I stupidly gave them my email address. I contacted my banks fraud team to make them aware. While I was on the phone to them (Anydesk)I could see a cursor moving on my tablet then my phone. They asked me to download the Anydesk app which I did, I have since uninstalled it.

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

How long did the scammers have access to your device(s) for? Obviously the longer they had access, the greater the potential for them to do harm.

Here is a recent similar topic below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Phishing-re-router/m-p/4716474

you may wish to consider the follow up measures suggested as you have actually allowed the scammers onto your device(s).

0 Kudos
Papajoe61
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

They did have access for a while and I did set up the remote control. I've been so stupid now that it's been explained I realise what they did. Should I change my email and passwords ?

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums Papajoe61 and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see you've been scammed by what seems to be a fraudster

We would advise running scans on your devices to ensure that no viruses or malware can be found and that all password are changed for all of your accounts

I'd always advise any customer to be as vigilant as possible under such circumstances

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Also check that you do not have TeamViewer installed by the scammers on the devices. Anydesk is sometimes used to make an initial remote connection which allows the scammers then to install other remote access software with more features. Check for any other remote access apps on the devices.

You should then consider all of the tasks listed in the other topic link at message #4 above and see how they apply to your situation. If they had access for a long time, then the greater the risks. You need to start a process of closing down all of the avenues that the scammers might have been able to exploit when they had access.

Set about changing your passwords and security questions. Start with the most important ones first of all such as email, banking, access to cloud accounts/services, social media, key shopping accounts (Amazon etc.). Be particularly thorough if you have used the same login/password details across different accounts/services in the past. Each account/service should have its own new unique and complex password which is different from anything used before.

I am not familiar enough with Apple products to give you specific advice on those but you need to make sure there are no further remote access programs or malware in place on those devices they had access to, which may allow them continued access without you knowing about it or via key logging. Seek advice from a local reputable computer shop or technician if you are not familiar with how to do this.

Longer term, keep an eye on your credit file. You may be at greater risk of identity theft. Refer to the Action Fraud page on this in the link above at message #4.

Contact Action Fraud. They may be able to give you further advice. They should also give you a crime number which may be helpful if you need to contact other organisations subsequently.