Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Possible scam

Just received a phonecall from someone claiming to be from Virgin Media. He stated that my internet service will become slowed down within the next few days if i didnt update some security information for my router.

He asked me to log onto a webpage which seemingly looked like a genuine Virgin Media page, and then asked me to install some software called Team Share which allowed him to take control of my computer. He informed me that he was going to change security details for all of my connected devices. This seemed a bit dodgy to me so i immedeatly cut off the call and removed the installed software from my computer. 

I am now concernced that this person may still have access to my devices, can somone please advise whether my broadband security is still comprimised even after deleting the software?

and what possible damage this person can do or has done..

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible scam

This has happened to me this morning and I too am looking for the same advice , should I do a factory reset .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible scam

@nabeelmehmood wrote:

Just received a phonecall from someone claiming to be from Virgin Media. He stated that my internet service will become slowed down within the next few days if i didnt update some security information for my router.

He asked me to log onto a webpage which seemingly looked like a genuine Virgin Media page, and then asked me to install some software called Team Share which allowed him to take control of my computer. He informed me that he was going to change security details for all of my connected devices. This seemed a bit dodgy to me so i immedeatly cut off the call and removed the installed software from my computer. 

I am now concernced that this person may still have access to my devices, can somone please advise whether my broadband security is still comprimised even after deleting the software?

and what possible damage this person can do or has done..

Possible Definite scam.

Sorry to read that you have fall victim to some miscreant's scam. Though you have removed the (possibly) legit remote desktop software from your device you cannot, with any degree of confidence, certify that this action has restored the device to its previous secure state. Disconnect the device from the your network and take a moment to make a note of what happened from the moment you received the call to when it was disconnected from the internet and/or home network. Review the information noted and take appropriate actions, for example if you signed into your online bank account use a known clean / secure device to check for unexpected transactions and change your authentication credential. Check the device for malware to gather further information to see what more actions maybe appropriate to take. Then either restore the device to a know previous clean state or reset it to a clean state.

Be wary of future calls and vigilant for the possibility that information stolen from your device might be used to gain your trust in execution of further scams; IMHO it is impossible to validate a (cold) caller is who they claim to be so best to call the organisation back on their published contact details.

Consider reporting the scam to ActionFraud.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks