Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Possible scam

My partner received a call on the home phone from 01375398476, saying they were from VM technical support. Saying that the router was showing as a fault, straight away i thought something was up, VM being proactive. Asked us to allow remote access to laptop, said we were to get a £204 good will gesture from landine rental, plus replace the router, actually booked an appointment with engineers name and ID. Then told us to turn off any phones/tablets because they had to run a programme. Passed us back to someone saying that a code was sent to my bank account and to use the laptop to log in and claim money, code only lasted 1 hour. When i refused she said that i should listen to her and do it, so i said listen to me, I'm not doing it. Then i get, well, you'll have to go to head office with your passport to claim it, and hung up.

Either legendary VM customer service or a total scam. No harm done hopefully, I'll wait for engineer Zack Brown to turn up. Tried calling VM but battery ran out on home phone after 30mins, and tried on mobile for same length of time, and gave up

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible scam

If anybody mentions remote access or bank account details they are scamming you. Virgin or any other provider would never do this.

NEVER NEVER download anything or grant any remote access, or you could end up with ransomeware on your devices.

We are all getting these calls. Just hang up on them.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

well its a new one or i have not seen it before but its a scam - about as subtle as an outside brick outbuilding

Tony
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just received a call. Person with Asian accent said he was from Virgin and that a recent error had been detected on our system. Wanted me to connect all our devices to wifi. I hung up. We have had a few problems with wifi connecting to tivo box but it seemed strange to get a call from Virgin. Used 1471 and number came up as 01482898462. This appears to belong to a haulage company in Hull!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi JD6, 

Thank you for your post. 

There seems to be a lot of scam calls going on at the moment with this description. I assure you it is not us. Please remain vigilant. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos